Sundown Audio

blown sundown 100.4's yyyyyyyyyyyyy

javy101

ok so i just got done wiring my components which consist of 6 rf 6.5 6 rf t1 tweeters and 2 rf 8's. i got it done last night and it played for about 1 hour and then i went to move my door panel without taking my speakers out and all of a sudden i here a loud pop. and to my sheer disappointment both my 100.4's blew there fuses. i also saw a little bit of white smoke not alot just a slight amount come out of the amp's. i tried putting new fuses in but it starts sparking when i try to stick in the fuse. i called dbr i got them from him about 2 weeks ago and he says its prob the power supply. what i was wondering is what could have possibly caused this. the power ground and remote had no chance of touching. the only wires that could have shorted were the rca's or speaker wire. is there even a way for the speaker wire to cause so much damage. or what could have happend. do you guys think it will still be under warranty.

edit when the popping noise sounded i had it a very low volume

Edited by javy101

how did you have the speakers wired? you had all that on 1 4 channel?

312tzpu.png

My 02 Accord Wall Build

2 Sundown Audio Nightshade V1 18s --- 1 SAZ 3500

Sundown Audio 100.4 --- 4 Sundown Audio Neo-Pro 8s

Sundown Audio 125.2 --- 2 Morel MD-12 Tweeters , 2 Selenium ST-200 Tweeters

DC Power 270xp --- 4 XS Power D1200s | 1 D5100R

Do u think there is anyway that the amps fuses could have stopped the damage if they did ground out

I doubt it. Fuses take a moment to blow, it doesn't take long to damage an amp.

I would bet a fiver that one or both of the speaker terminals or wires touched the door metal.

At the same time with that many drivers I would love to know how you've wired them up, and what ohm load they're supposed to be.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I doubt it. Fuses take a moment to blow, it doesn't take long to damage an amp.

I would bet a fiver that one or both of the speaker terminals or wires touched the door metal.

At the same time with that many drivers I would love to know how you've wired them up, and what ohm load they're supposed to be.

i have sent them off to repair at db-r so thats that but i had three sets of rf 1652-s and two rf 8" p2's. i had two sundown 100.4's so thats eight channels of processing power. i 4 of those chanels or one amp to just the 8" p2's wired to 2ohm bridged. on the other amp i went ahead and placed 3 tweeters on 2 of the remaining channels and 3 6.5's on the last two channels. i know that this bumps my ohms down to 1.333ohms and the amp recommends only going down to 2 ohms but i talked to jacob from sundown and he said it should be fine its been done before.

i have sent them off to repair at db-r so thats that but i had three sets of rf 1652-s and two rf 8" p2's. i had two sundown 100.4's so thats eight channels of processing power. i 4 of those chanels or one amp to just the 8" p2's wired to 2ohm bridged. on the other amp i went ahead and placed 3 tweeters on 2 of the remaining channels and 3 6.5's on the last two channels. i know that this bumps my ohms down to 1.333ohms and the amp recommends only going down to 2 ohms but i talked to jacob from sundown and he said it should be fine its been done before.

Uhhh 3 6.5's on the last 2 channels?

So you were running 3 6.5's on those channels bridged? Or 3 6.5's on each of those channels?

Cos if it was 3 on the bridged channels, that's 0.66 ohms per channel, of course they're gonna blow up. Even at 2 ohms bridged (1 ohm per channel) I'm not surprised they blew up. What the hell, what aren't you using a couple of big 2 channels instead of blowing up 100.4's?

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Not to mention the current draw from being wired that low in the first place and the heat generated....

Many other things im wondering too lol....well consider it a lesson learned I guess? :trippy:

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

ok so i just got done wiring my components which consist of 6 rf 6.5 6 rf t1 tweeters and 2 rf 8's. i got it done last night and it played for about 1 hour and then i went to move my door panel without taking my speakers out and all of a sudden i here a loud pop. and to my sheer disappointment both my 100.4's blew there fuses. i also saw a little bit of white smoke not alot just a slight amount come out of the amp's. i tried putting new fuses in but it starts sparking when i try to stick in the fuse. i called dbr i got them from him about 2 weeks ago and he says its prob the power supply. what i was wondering is what could have possibly caused this. the power ground and remote had no chance of touching. the only wires that could have shorted were the rca's or speaker wire. is there even a way for the speaker wire to cause so much damage. or what could have happend. do you guys think it will still be under warranty.

edit when the popping noise sounded i had it a very low volume

Might i ask why in the hell you were messing with the door panel with the system on to start with? A little electrical common sense applied would have told you there could be an issue doing that.

Oh well, Live and learn as has already been said. But do yourself a favor and THINK b4 you mess with shit next time...

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Why would you have an odd numbered pair of components for when wiring in even sets of numbers makes wiring to a 1,2 or 4 ohm load a lot easier, 3 sets of components just makes life tough wiring wise when you could have just got another set and wired down to 2ohm with one amp vs. two amps.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2