Biggest speaker wire for XL

I put 8 ga on mine last night. I stripped a couple strands off but not too bad (using some sort of stinger 8ga, btw). I would have been quite content using 10 ga, in hindsight. I'd say you know this by now, but dual 8 will not work. I would be willing to bet dual 10 wouldn't work, either.

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

2 punch 400's, 8 goldwood 6.5's, 4 selenium st200's

2010 MECA AS1 champ 146.7

Team DC I'm on the wagon, driving a wagon!

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

member of MECA, FCBC, and IASCA

single 8awg fits just fine. i use it in my XLs

Same here, unless your run from you amp to you subs is like 30+ feet you dont need to use anything larger than 8 guage, the difference is extremely minimal.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

TO answer your wiring question wire all 3 of your subs in series that will give you a 2.8 ohm load on each speaker then wire all 3 in parallel thatputs your ohm load at 1.07 use 10g wire you should have 3 positive and 3 negative coming from each speaker put them to a bolt that goes through the box like suggested earlier then connect one positive and one negative 8g wire to the bolt on the outside of the box and run it to the output of your bass amp. oh and you use ring terminals to make your wire connections to the bolts if you dont already know that

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

If you still need help or w/e I just did my terminals for my 2 18s. Ill post pics tomorrow for you

312tzpu.png

My 02 Accord Wall Build

2 Sundown Audio Nightshade V1 18s --- 1 SAZ 3500

Sundown Audio 100.4 --- 4 Sundown Audio Neo-Pro 8s

Sundown Audio 125.2 --- 2 Morel MD-12 Tweeters , 2 Selenium ST-200 Tweeters

DC Power 270xp --- 4 XS Power D1200s | 1 D5100R

Here is some help... Read through this, its really informative...

The 12 volt

I've been checking that out, thanks. Just can't grasp how you get a final ohm load using parallel/series or series parallel, especially with odd number of subs. I'll get it eventually.

If you still need help or w/e I just did my terminals for my 2 18s. Ill post pics tomorrow for you

Pics would be cool, man. Thanks.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

TO answer your wiring question wire all 3 of your subs in series that will give you a 2.8 ohm load on each speaker then wire all 3 in parallel thatputs your ohm load at 1.07 use 10g wire you should have 3 positive and 3 negative coming from each speaker put them to a bolt that goes through the box like suggested earlier then connect one positive and one negative 8g wire to the bolt on the outside of the box and run it to the output of your bass amp. oh and you use ring terminals to make your wire connections to the bolts if you dont already know that

First of all using 8 gauge for such a short distance is not needed, you will notice no noticeable gain over something more reasonable such as 12 gauge because it is so short. Secondly, adding the ring terminals and bolts etc only adds to the resistance especially if you do not solder the ring terminals which is what your trying to cut down on anyways. Sure it looks cleaner but if your goal in using such large gauge wire is to cut down on resistance your completely defeating the purpose.

Just use a true 12 gauge speaker wire and wire it through the box using no terminals etc. If the run of wire from your box to your amp is really long (and i mean like 6' +) then i'd consider using a larger wire such as 8 awg.

Just noticed your from Germany, small world my g/f is from just outside of Frankfurt

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

• 4 weeks later...

Archived