Second Skin Audio

Should I be worried about port noise?

toylocost

Im starting to design my box for my new car. Its lacking in space to say the least, its an 87 MR2. I have about 8x8x14 to work with. Im going to try and shoehorn an SA-8 in between the seats. I am wondering if a small diameter port is going to create port noise. I dont know what port noise sounds like but I would like to know what creates it, and if it is something I need to be thinking about. I guess I am mostly leaning towards an SQ system, but like to bump it once in a while. It wouldnt take much to make me change to a sealed box but Sundown doesnt recommend sealed for this one. If I cant fit the ported box in there I will have to change subs and go with a sealed.

So what I think I can fit is about .56 cubes for the speaker and an aero port that is about 2" dia and 11" long. Which would be tuned to about 36hz. This will be on 500-600rms. I am worried that the port is too small. Ive only built a few boxes but let me know what you guys would do in this situation.

This will be my first FG box but I will not be half-assing it at all. I will take my time. This is gonna be a showcar someday. haha

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

OK I've done some more research. For anyone searching for anwers like me.

How I understand it now is port noise comes from not having enough port area. Keep it to 12-16in^2, and port noise should not be a problem.

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

OK I've done some more research. For anyone searching for anwers like me.

How I understand it now is port noise comes from not having enough port area. Keep it to 12-16in^2, and port noise should not be a problem.

Port noise is a result of port velocity. A small port with a small woofer is usually ok.

To avoid port noise, make sure to round the ends of your port over, or use aeroports. For your application a couple of 3" aeroports could work really well. Or even just 1.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived