Sundown Audio

crunch or sundown?

jake1993

better 1000 watts  

33 members have voted

1. 1. which amp would you pick?

• sundown sae-1000d
    • crunch p1-2000.1

I'm not necessarily sure if your counter-example here is the best either. lol Comparing JL Audio pricing to ANYTHING else makes anything else look reasonable. This is no diss whatsoever to Sundown Audio as I would run an amplifier from them too if I had the money, but compare prices between a Saz-1500 to a Hifonics 2010d. Both will do around the same power, with the Hifonics running you $300-$500 less. Just my opinion.

How could the Hifonics be 500$ less than a 500$ amp?

my bad i miss read it i thought the crunch had 4 25 amp fuses.

I did too until I looked at the Maxxsonics site and read the owner's manual. It says it has 8O amps of fusing an is class A/B (less efficient). The SAE line from Sundown is Chinese built and not as high quality as their other amps, but still better than Crunch (from what I've heard). I'm not sure the actual output of a SAE1000d, but I know the SAE1200d clamped way more power than 1200 watts (well over 1500 watts actually).

I'm guessing you're looking at a used sae1000d?

And that Crunch GPV 2000.1 seems to be an A/B class amp as well, FYI. (according to the owner's manual on Maxxsonics website)

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

How could the Hifonics be 500$ less than a 500$ amp?

Sorry, looking at msrp. So less than $300 compared to $500...... I payed $550 new for my Crescendo 3k. Another counter-example to his counter-example.

OP, if money is not an option, go with Sundown. If you have other things on your grocery list, save the money. On a level 3, 200watts won't make that big of a difference to the ear. It all comes down to what you want.

Edit: Let me explain reasoning before a flame comes...

First, if looking into Crunch, why not go with the GPV2000.1 as opposed to the Powerzone line amp? The amplifier I linked above IS a class d mono-block. Also, incorporates the four 25 amp fuses everyone is in question of. AND COST THE SAME PRICE. And is rated at the same 1k. On a steady electrical, it should do relatively close to rated power.

Second, obviously the Sundown has been clamped and proven to put out more power. The exact number, no one is sure of as hardly anyone finds it worth the time to clamp a Maxxasonics product. The fault I find here is that if the operator is asking whether he should use a Sundown or Crunch amplifier, I don't see how well the DC Level 3 will do with his "well over 1500" going to it.

That's my reasoning and logic.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Sorry, looking at msrp. So less than $300 compared to $500...... I payed $550 new for my Crescendo 3k.

Your comparing a internet direct company to a dealer based company. Sundown is a dealer-based company that doesnt screw over its dealers like some comapnies... Sundown's prices arent very high compared to any other brand at a DEALER.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Sorry, looking at msrp. So less than $300 compared to $500...... I payed $550 new for my Crescendo 3k. Another counter-example to his counter-example.

OP, if money is not an option, go with Sundown. If you have other things on your grocery list, save the money. On a level 3, 200watts won't make that big of a difference to the ear. It all comes down to what you want.

Edit: Let me explain reasoning before a flame comes...

First, if looking into Crunch, why not go with the GPV2000.1 as opposed to the Powerzone line amp? The amplifier I linked above IS a class d mono-block. Also, incorporates the four 25 amp fuses everyone is in question of. AND COST THE SAME PRICE. And is rated at the same 1k. On a steady electrical, it should do relatively close to rated power.

Second, obviously the Sundown has been clamped and proven to put out more power. The exact number, no one is sure of as hardly anyone finds it worth the time to clamp a Maxxasonics product. The fault I find here is that if the operator is asking whether he should use a Sundown or Crunch amplifier, I don't see how well the DC Level 3 will do with his "well over 1500" going to it.

That's my reasoning and logic.

You sure about that? I looked on Maxxsonics website and a few other and they all list it as class A/B. The 3000.1 is listed as Class D, though. You might be right, I'm just finding conflicting info.

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M

Your comparing a internet direct company to a dealer based company. Sundown is a dealer-based company that doesnt screw over its dealers like some comapnies... Sundown's prices arent very high compared to any other brand at a DEALER.

I never talked down Sundown here buddy. And regardless, I have had nothing but good service from dealing with my old Hifonics equipment. Never screwed over, but I can sense a bad experience or two from your tone. No, Crunch doesn't spend top dollar on the highest quality of parts to make their products, and no Crunch doesn't clamp hundreds of watts over rated. Kudo's to Jacob for going that extra mile, partaking in an "X" amount of extra hours of testing, backing all of his products, and delivering. He more than deserves the reputation that he has. BUT, with the dollar/watt ratio on the side of Maxxasonics products, they tend to appeal more to the majority (poor) of smaller car audio enthusiasts. (which may be a generous term for noobs) The guy earlier used JL Audio prices in Sundown's defense, that was all I was commenting on with that. As I said earlier, if I had the cash anytime soon, i'd swipe up and rep Sundown. For the time being, I still need to finance a subwoofer with my amplifier.

Budget and experience level: GPV2000.1 > SAE-1200.

Money man/ Experience and respect for established car audio company: SAE-1200 > GPV2000.1.

You sure about that? I looked on Maxxsonics website and a few other and they all list it as class A/B. The 3000.1 is listed as Class D, though. You might be right, I'm just finding conflicting info.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17501_Crunch+GPV+2000.1+-GPV2000.1-.html

I wouldn't take Sonicelectronix's word for it.

http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/20/14346.html

http://www.teammaxxsonics.com/downloads/2009Crunch.pdf

Notice that the GPV3000.1D Pro has a D behind it and is the only one listed as a Class D? And it's the only one rated at RMS. I doubt the 2000.1 does close to 1000 watts. Probably like 7-800 (guessing here).

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAX-1200D

Stock Bose system

Profile AP1000M

i ran hifonics before i went to sundown. i still have the 2 bxi1610ds they clamped around 1150 watts each but they are power hungry amps and very cheap made. the end plates on the amps are plastic and break very easy as i found out while mounting you can tell they are not a high quality amp sundown on the other hand is a very efficient amp and is very well made and will produce every watt its rated at and then some! i vote sundown hands down.

sealed up on the termlab mic on dash 4-sa12"s 2-3500d's 153.4db now testing a american bass 1100.1 no numbers yet 300amp iraggi alt and kinetik batts.

Archived