Second Skin Audio

6th order dilemma

Sanitarium

a bit harsh? what do you mean by saying it's ported?

when building a 6th order, it's often a good starting point to have the rear chamber that same size as what the manufacturer recommends as the largest sealed size you should go...

eg. if the manufacturer recommends 3cf sealed, the rear chamber of your 6th order should be around the 3cf foot mark...

this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it's a good place to start...

this is what "STEvil" was saying...

Being as 6th orders don't have sealed chambers .... Your advice is totally un related to this topic.

Just saying

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Being as 6th orders don't have sealed chambers .... Your advice is totally un related to this topic.

Just saying

perhaps i should make myself clearer...

the REAR chamber, which is ported into the front, should be roughly the same size as the maximum recommended SEALED box size that the manufacturer recommends!

does this make sense?

the rear chamber in a bandpass box, is usually smaller that it's equivalent ported/sealed box...

eq. If a manufacturer recommends 2cf sealed and 3cf ported, then the rear chamber of a 4th order should be around 1cf for a 4th order, or 2cf for a 6th order...

are you seeing the connection?

as i said above, this is a rough rule of thumb, used to point out that the above post was rather rude considering his advice was 100% correct

so yes, my advice IS relevant to this thread...

SMD-1.png

He is correct. Rear should be around 3 3.5 to start. Also shirnk the rear port. It'll narrow your bandwidth a ton if you make it that big. The ratio from rear to front is really up to you. Some people suggest 2:1 I have heard others say they liked 1:1.5. If it were me I would start with 1.5:1.

Roseville, CA

Gotta love it when someone says 'Just saying' when the other person was right. Kind of like the drop subs in same box test, people will never get, but never admit they're wrong. lol

Just Saying :peepwall:

edit: if any of this makes since to you, good luck. Most of what I have ever read about 6th orders, aren't good. Way to complicated and have a narrow range in freqs. Great for straight SPL, but still hard to get just right.

Calculator

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=32

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

Gotta love it when someone says 'Just saying' when the other person was right. Kind of like the drop subs in same box test, people will never get, but never admit they're wrong. lol

Just Saying :peepwall:

edit: if any of this makes since to you, good luck. Most of what I have ever read about 6th orders, aren't good. Way to complicated and have a narrow range in freqs. Great for straight SPL, but still hard to get just right.

Calculator

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=32

that calculator hates my subs....

anywho, the current plans badwidth doesn't seem too big a problem.

boxgain.jpg

boxgain1.jpg

Few minor adjustments. Seems to play well within the range I'll be requesting of it..

18.5 cubes total for rear chambers, 216 square inches of port (11.67 per cube)~30-31 hz.

12.5 cubes total front (corrected to not include area INSIDE the port),543 square inches of port, 76 Hz tuning.

I'll be setting the low pass filter at around 75 Hz with a 24db/octave slope.

its ported u fucking noob

:orly3:

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Sorry for digging up this old thread. Hope it's ok. I'm in a similar dilemma, (now that im researching 6th orders) of why the inner port is commonly recommended to be this small as 5-8 inch/cb.

The argument I've seen is that "port noise is not heard" and therefore we don't need to make as big of a port, - we accept port turbulence. I find this pretty strange. As soon as a port is caught above 10% speed of sound - it will stop resonating and basically clog up - acting like a closed choke. Therefore, when overpowering a 6th series with too small port should convert its properties to something similar to a regular 4th order. This cannot be desirable right?

This particular thread is interesting as it suggests an inner port of 'commonly used' rule of thumb of inner port. I wonder - how did it turn out ?

Don't like sharing your knowledge?

Welll.. Don't come here and grab others then! - GTFO.

Hello,

Sorry for digging up this old thread. Hope it's ok. I'm in a similar dilemma, (now that im researching 6th orders) of why the inner port is commonly recommended to be this small as 5-8 inch/cb.

The argument I've seen is that "port noise is not heard" and therefore we don't need to make as big of a port, - we accept port turbulence. I find this pretty strange. As soon as a port is caught above 10% speed of sound - it will stop resonating and basically clog up - acting like a closed choke. Therefore, when overpowering a 6th series with too small port should convert its properties to something similar to a regular 4th order. This cannot be desirable right?

This particular thread is interesting as it suggests an inner port of 'commonly used' rule of thumb of inner port. I wonder - how did it turn out ?

It was a low note monster that didn't care if the vehicle was sealed or open (scores were within a few tenths of each other no matter where i put the mic or if i had doors closed, opened, etc.)

I wound up with 2 more box builds for this setup, and in the end wound up liking a 4th order the best.

Archived