Sonic Electronix

OK, I checked the wiring and it is good. I checked the voice coils and each were 2 ohms as expected, but I get a 3.5 ohm load when wired how they should be (I'm using 12g wire to connect the coils and for the speaker wire). Should I turn the gain up to match the 3.5 ohms since I originally set it for 2 ohms (from 44.7 Vac to 59.2 Vac). That should make a bit of difference. I don't know why I'm not getting 2 ohms though.

I checked and they are in phase so thats not the issue.

The RCA's are connected to the input.

I'm using my headunit fot the crossovers since it is built in. I even bypassed the HU and used the crossover on the amp...no change.

I'm getting a little air leak in each chamber. What are you guys using to prevent this?

I'm still stumped as to why I don't have much bass (I'm not a big bass head for the record either so it's not like I have huge expectations. I'm into more sound quality than bass). My last resort is to send it in to Rockford to get checked out unless we can get this figured out. This amp is a new factory referbished unit. I didn't install it right away so now I'm out of warranty so I hope there isn't an issue b/c from what I heard RF likes to charge a lot.

MAN,OH MAN,OH MAN!! Please don't tell me this!!

I just ordered the same amp,with 2 RF 12's T1D412's (Which I JUST got 1 in yesterday.Are these the same subs your havin' a hard time with??? ). The only difference is I'm using a Pioneer 4200 Head unit.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the wiring was off.

I wouldn't worry a bit. You'll be wired at 1 ohm and making more power than me. RF has good products, that's why I went with them. Nothing/nobody is perfect though...

How did you check to find out you are getting 3.5 ohms?

are you sure your RCAs are good?

You said RCAs are connected to the input, I assume you mean the input of the amp.

Are you 100% certain you have them hooked up to the SUB output on your HU?

If you set your gains using a DMM then you are getting output from the amp, so something is weird.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

OK, I checked the wiring and it is good. I checked the voice coils and each were 2 ohms as expected, but I get a 3.5 ohm load when wired how they should be (I'm using 12g wire to connect the coils and for the speaker wire). Should I turn the gain up to match the 3.5 ohms since I originally set it for 2 ohms (from 44.7 Vac to 59.2 Vac). That should make a bit of difference. I don't know why I'm not getting 2 ohms though.

I checked and they are in phase so thats not the issue.

The RCA's are connected to the input.

I'm using my headunit fot the crossovers since it is built in. I even bypassed the HU and used the crossover on the amp...no change.

I'm getting a little air leak in each chamber. What are you guys using to prevent this?

I'm still stumped as to why I don't have much bass (I'm not a big bass head for the record either so it's not like I have huge expectations. I'm into more sound quality than bass). My last resort is to send it in to Rockford to get checked out unless we can get this figured out. This amp is a new factory referbished unit. I didn't install it right away so now I'm out of warranty so I hope there isn't an issue b/c from what I heard RF likes to charge a lot.

Like shkibbybop said how did you check? Don't forget the amp is internally bridged. Each sub should be presenting a 4ohm load if you wired it correctly.

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

How did you check to find out you are getting 3.5 ohms?

are you sure your RCAs are good?

You said RCAs are connected to the input, I assume you mean the input of the amp.

Are you 100% certain you have them hooked up to the SUB output on your HU?

If you set your gains using a DMM then you are getting output from the amp, so something is weird.

I checked the load by putting the DMM probes in the + & - terminals of the subs with the wire connected to the other + & -.

The RCA's are brand new. I even tried using an RCA from the components and there still wasn't any difference. I didn't change the RCA's in back of the HU so I could see if it was maybe a HU/RCA issue, but it's not.

Yes I am 100% certain they are connected to the sub outputs of the HU and the input of the amp.

I checked the load by putting the DMM probes in the + & - terminals of the subs with the wire connected to the other + & -.

The RCA's are brand new. I even tried using an RCA from the components and there still wasn't any difference. I didn't change the RCA's in back of the HU so I could see if it was maybe a HU/RCA issue, but it's not.

Yes I am 100% certain they are connected to the sub outputs of the HU and the input of the amp.

alright, cool.

That's right then. My DMM was bouncing around 3.5-3.6 ohms for each sub. Each individual voice coil was 1.8-1.9 ohms.

That sounds right.

Have you tried hooking up a different speaker to the amp?

Could you take a video of the subs in action maybe?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

So you should have it like this:

Each sub has two coils. connect the pos to the other pos. The neg to the other neg. So you have wire going from coil 1 to coil 2. Do that for both subs. then you should have one wire coming from the pos and another coming from the neg on each sub as well. you now have 2 pos and 2 neg, one set from each sub. put the pos together, and neg together and put them into the pos and neg on the amp.

Speakers wired.

check to make sure your amp is actually ON, did you run the remote wire?

Check RCA's

the amp also should have a phase knob, iirc its from 0-180 you turn that all the way up, if i remember right turn the gain to w/e you want it. half

turn your lpf on the amp to ~80hz, for right now it doesnt matter just roughly ~ 8 0

make your your subsonic isnt all the way up turn it to roughly ~ 20-25hz w/e just not high

amps good.

On your H/U

Make sure the subwoofer setting is ON. Make sure its normal, not reverse or w.e

Also make sure the RCA's are connected to the rear/Sub out set not the front

Otherwise you should be good. You should have PLENTY of bass even off of 25w you would know.

Your DMM neg on amp neg and pos on amp pos speaker out , should 2ohm, if it reads anything more than +- .2 ohm, something is wrong with the wiring or the subs.

Hope this helps, take your time.

P4

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

On your H/U

]

Definitely check that. My friends h/u when the sub setting is off, put out a small amount of bass.

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

So you should have it like this:

Each sub has two coils. connect the pos to the other pos. The neg to the other neg. So you have wire going from coil 1 to coil 2. Do that for both subs. then you should have one wire coming from the pos and another coming from the neg on each sub as well. you now have 2 pos and 2 neg, one set from each sub. put the pos together, and neg together and put them into the pos and neg on the amp.

Speakers wired.

check to make sure your amp is actually ON, did you run the remote wire?

Check RCA's

the amp also should have a phase knob, iirc its from 0-180 you turn that all the way up, if i remember right turn the gain to w/e you want it. half

turn your lpf on the amp to ~80hz, for right now it doesnt matter just roughly ~ 8 0

make your your subsonic isnt all the way up turn it to roughly ~ 20-25hz w/e just not high

amps good.

On your H/U

Otherwise you should be good. You should have PLENTY of bass even off of 25w you would know.

Your DMM neg on amp neg and pos on amp pos speaker out , should 2ohm, if it reads anything more than +- .2 ohm, something is wrong with the wiring or the subs.

Hope this helps, take your time.

P4

The way you are saying to wire my subs sounds like 0.5 ohm load...maybe I'm not reading that right.

The remote wire is ran and the amp is on.

How can I check my RCA's unless I have a new pair?

There's no phase knob on this amp. I've turned the gain to match the correct output AC Voltage.

The infrasonic filter shouldn't really matter since I'm running a sealed box.

I'm sure the RCA's are connected to the sub out and not in reverse phase.

I wish I had another amp to try out.

Archived