Sundown Audio

Man Sundownz, we posted the same thing. . .does not matter how many times it gets posted, people just don't understand the 1.4 ohms DCR vs. 2 ohms nominal AC impedance. . .

I'm trying, man. Ok, so if my vc's are supposed to be 1.4 and my dmm reads 1.8, are the vc's right? I thought you add the dmm lead resistance to the vc resistance. My leads are .4 when crossed.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I'm trying, man. Ok, so if my vc's are supposed to be 1.4 and my dmm reads 1.8, are the vc's right? I thought you add the dmm lead resistance to the vc resistance. My leads are .4 when crossed.

yes, that is absolutely fine.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Your DMM is reading DC resistance. That is the resistance that would be seen if you applied DC current (like a 9 volt battery or hooked it up to a car battery).

Music is an AC signal. Because the subwoofer VC is a coil, it acts like an inductor. The resistance of a coil with an AC signal applied actually varies with frequency. The impedance of the voice coil is rated base on an average resistance taken over the subs operating frequency range (there are more conditions than just the average - do a google search for nominal speaker impedance and you can read more if you like).

Impedance rise is nothing more than the impedance changing at certain frequencies due to the box changing the characteristics of the cone movement. It may still be the same at some frequencies, but much greater at others due to factors such as the box tuning frequency.

Bottom line - if your DMM says 1.4 ohms per coil, you have a dual 2 ohm sub. Series the coils on each sub, parallel the 3 subs. You then have a 1.333 ohm load, or .67 per amp. No problem for those amps.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.