Sonic Electronix

Tapping threads in 15" DC Audio XL - Advice Needed!!!!

So I got a DC XL 15" beast and the basket is attached to the magnet with 6 1/4"-28 x1/2" long bolts and they all stripped out during shipping. So I am about to buy a tap/drill combo set. Now I am assuming I will just need the next size up which is a 5/16" tap and drill combo which I assume comes with a 1/4" drill to clean up all the old threads that are in the motor holes?

Does anyone know if this is the right size tap I will need? Can I just drill out the basket if needed to fit the bigger bolts? Any sources would be great as well!

I am going to try and get 3/4" bolts instead of the weak *** 1/2" ones that came stock I dont know if they will fit yet. Im also using a grip of lock tight. Also what pitch tap will I need? I am not saying its DC's fault i havnt heard of this happening before and it wasnt packaged well from the guy who shipped it.

And last thing, someone said I gotta remove my top plate to do this? Is that true, its not mis aligned or anything???

Thanks for the help! (if anyone responds lol i have bad luck with threads )

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

1 3.5 cube interchangeable port box

Finishing this all up over the winter and will be starting to compete in 2011!

651 - 612

I'll respond, haha. When you're drilling the magnet, the swarf/filings will clog the gap on your magnet and screw it up. I don't know how to remedy this, maybe removing the top plate? Someone else needs to jump in and help.

BTW, how did they strip out during shipping?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

There wasnt any support below the magnet, so it must of got dropped and ripped of thr basket, its weird though because when I thread them in it appears the threads are only stripped on the very top like 1/4" but IDK. Cant I just tape up the top of the gap, I mean the bottom of the bolt holes arnt exposed to the gap are they? I thought they were sealed on the bottom?

And I called DC they will not fix it.

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

651 - 612

Tap the gap up with some duct tape..

Your best bet is going to be an easy out in a drill. Unless they did something dumb and actually put glue in the threads themselves...then you're going to have fun drilling and re-tapping a charged motor :)

Authorized Ascendant Audio Dealer! Message me for information.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -Albert Einstein

"I have a plausible excuse for not liking you. And you know why."

werd. its the kind of thing that leads people to suicide.

What do you guys mean I cant just tape over the top of the gap???

NDM clarify that statement I really dont want to F this up! but anyways

its actually a m6 metric bolt, I think I am just going to get this kit and re-use the same size bolts!

http://www.newmantools.com/recmet.htm

2010-11 Project:

1 15" DC XL

1 AP3k

651 - 612

What they mean is that you'll have all kinds of problems with a charged magnet pulling on the drill bit and pieces of metal from drilling if you get that far. Cleaning the holes out to tap them will be a chore in itself let alone trying to clean the tapped hole out after you manage to tap it. This is something you just can't do with a handheld drill and you'll want to make a box to hold and secure the magnet with on a drill press. But by all means tape that gap closed or you'll have even worse problems than drilling and tapping new holes.

Personally i would use keenserts to repair that as they are a hardened steel insert that will snap a bolt and not strip out.

Some on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boeing-UT7053-5H-Keensert-Insert-Heavy-Duty-10pcs-/220280652860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3349c0043c#ht_668wt_648

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Listen to me.

Go get an easy out from NAPA auto parts or a local tool supply store.

Don't go drilling on anything until you try that. Tape the gap up with duct tape. You can also ask them about a left handed drill bit too...many times you can 'snag' the bolt that is broken off and it will spin right out.

This is if and only if they did not pull a bone headed move and put glue in the threads. If there is glue in the threads you are screwed.

DO NOT DRILL AND TAP UNTIL YOU HAVE TO.

Edit: Here's an easy out set to show you what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Screw-Bolt-Extractor/dp/B0002UJNWE

Edited by NDMstang65

Authorized Ascendant Audio Dealer! Message me for information.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -Albert Einstein

"I have a plausible excuse for not liking you. And you know why."