Sonic Electronix

Should i build a different box

Alright guys, I currently have 2 12" Hifonics HFi's in a 5ft box after all displacements tuned to 32hz powered by a Pioneer amp rated at 600 rms at 2 ohms. I personally think it was louder when i was giving the subs 50-100rms each. My box has no bracing or 45's.. My question is should i build a smaller box to compensate the power i have now? I'm thinking 1.75 - 2ft each with 45's and i think i want to try a kerf port this time around. What do you guys think. :good: or :No:

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

This setup has gone through 3 different cars. What I'm saying is that when it was low powered the subs wouldn't move at all but hit hard and deep. Now they are moving real good and when i turn it up it bottoms out on the low notes.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

that is ENTIRELY TOO MUCH BOX for those woofers and that wattage.

Big boxes aren't the magical get louder puzzle link. Big boxes are designed to accomodate big air displacment (bigger woofers or smaller woofers with huge xmax).

yes you should build a new box. 2.5 cubes, 30-32 hz, 36 square inches of port max.

Or upgrade from that beginner gear and get something that's meant to use such a huge box.

that is ENTIRELY TOO MUCH BOX for those woofers and that wattage.

Big boxes aren't the magical get louder puzzle link. Big boxes are designed to accomodate big air displacment (bigger woofers or smaller woofers with huge xmax).

yes you should build a new box. 2.5 cubes, 30-32 hz, 36 square inches of port max.

Or upgrade from that beginner gear and get something that's meant to use such a huge box.

Actually 5 is right on with those subs for a flat response. It really depends on what sound you are going for. I have two of the same subs in a sealed box, but I wanted more trunk space and 'tighter' bass.

Here are the plans from hifonics.

http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hifonics/pdfs/HFi%20Subwoofer%20Manual.pdf

Honestly, the bigger issue is what amp did you have on them before. Remember, just because an amp states a certain rms wattage, doesn't mean that is what you will get. Also, depends on your gain settings and rather or not you have them set right. I say before you build a new box, make sure the gains are set correctly.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

My port is at 54 inches, And the amp i had before was a Koiiler 420 max watt amp at 4ohms i believe. The pioneer i have now is at 1ohm. I've set the gain many different times and still can't get it how i want it. I guess I'm expecting too much from these budget subs :pardon:

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

Archived