Second Skin Audio

Noob needing advice on 4 18"s application

I've been gathering as much information as I could from other posts but didn't really see anything that was exactly what I was thinking, so if I missed a post and this is a re-post I apologize ahead of time.

Veh is a 2002 Chevy Suburban with: 1 DC Power 270 amp dual alt set up with the stock alt and isolator(for now), 1 Optima battery per amp (for now), big 3 and all wires are upgraded. Focal K2 componets 2 sets in the front and 1 set rear with an extra set of tweeters in the A pillars powered by JL 300/4's (3 of them).

I currently have 4 10w7's in a ported box powered by 2 JL 1000/1's that were term lab metered at 145.2 @42hz (loudest I've ever been) but I know that is as much as they will give me without burning up. I know this forum does not like JL/Optima but it was a steal and I couldn't even get a lesser product for what I paid for everything brand new and I liked the quality.

I am in need of some assitance in choosing the correct subwoofer for my new application with all of the same things as above but not including the 10w7's or the 1000/1's:

- 2 Sundown Audio SAZ-2500d's run at ~1ohm (per 2 subs).

I am looking for 4 18" subs for a daily driver (that will be played loud and hard at times) in a shared chambered slot ported box that will be tuned to ~33hz (box already built by a friend). The mix of music is all over the place but the emphasis will be on SQ rather than SPL but having a driver that can accomplish some "heart pounding" bass when requested would be ideal. Not looking to do any formal comps.

I appreciate any assistance that you can give me. Thank you for your time.

2002 Suburban on 24s

(2) RF 2500bdcp's

(1) DC Power 270xp alt (for system only)

(4) Kinetik Racing KR3112 batteries

(1) JL Audio A4300

(1) Focal K1 component sets (rears)

(1) Q Logic kick panel 6 1/2" pods

(4) Eminence 6 1/2's speakers (fronts)

(6) Selenium Super Tweeters

(2) Sundown Audio Nightshade hybrid 18s

Ummm........

You have a lot to choose from but with just "33 hz tuned box" is nothing to go by since you don't know what subs you're putting in (different subs have different recommendations for airspace). The displacement could change the tuning or the subs may not even fit. Post pics of the box so we can have a general idea of what youre working with.

Oh and get rid of the isolater

Edited by flashlight_65

DC level 4s with lvl 5 coils and extra spider, upgraded Fi Q, upgraded Fi BL, or Ascendant Audio Havoc.

You'd need atleast 22 cubes. Is recommend about 24 cubic feet though. Space shouldn't be a problem

Edited by hdorre
On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

The Q's and BL's won't handle 5k. (at least that's what this guy claims he's gonna be running)

Definitely not stock. You'd have to be careful with the Qs, but I have no doubt that a BL fully loaded couldn't handle ~1250wrms. Of course the box couldn't be huge.

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Are you stuck on 18's just because the box is already built? Just figured if you were going for SQ and not SPL you could go with 12's with less power and less air space and save money in the long run. Put the extra money into the SQ side of the build.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

I will get the pix of the box later today when I go and pick it up, my buddy had 4 nightshade's in it powered by 2 saz-4500's and now he wants to go walled so I'm taking the box and stepping things up (if the box isn't suited for the sub's I choose I can have another fabricated). The "claim" is what I am getting from the manufacturer on what 2 of his amps will run at a ~1 ohm load and I can only assume it is at 12.6v or a little higher. I was looking at the FI's Q/BL (fully loaded) and I liked their sound compared to the Nightshades.

2002 Suburban on 24s

(2) RF 2500bdcp's

(1) JL Audio A4300

Get some Sundown Audio Z v.2 18s. Sound AWESOME! One of the smoothest sounding, accurate 18s I've ever heard.

They're backordered for about 4 months

LMFAO so true

To be honest this build is out of sheer bordom. I totaled my bike and my car so I'm stuck with 1 toy and the wife is not "letting" me get another fast toy for a while, so I figured I'd go retarded on the sound and do other crap to the Burb. When I reffered to the SQ portion I should have elaborated what I meant. This veh won't be "true SQ" but I wanted to get a sub that would sound as "SQ" as possible and not just sound like a jack-hammer. I have had 10's, 12's and 15's... I wanted to go 4 21"s but my buddy tried to talk some sense into me and I settled with 18"s for now and see if I like them. For a good example of what I want, think ground pounder that sounds good. :clapping:

2002 Suburban on 24s

(2) RF 2500bdcp's

(1) JL Audio A4300