car computer!!!!!:):)

What makes a Carputer a carputer? IS it just the fact it's a computer in a car that runs off the 12v charging system? I.E. Special power supply. Or does it consist of some hardware that makes it significantly different? I've noticed some of them run on the intel atom, Is it because of power consumption? Also, is the case for a typical carputer sealed to prevent weather/water/children damage? If so is cooling an issue? I've also noticed some carputers that are designed to read error codes and give you the ability to diagnose/delete error codes? What's with that? And what's the special, "front end" i've heard of? Is it equivilent to a OS?

/threadjack

Warning, you are taking advice from a noob with 0 install experience at this point, any advice I give is strictly based on information gathered via the intrawebz and lots of forum surfing over a period of 2 months

If you are considering buying a DC Level 5, do it. Don't think about it, just do it. It'll work.

go to lowes get bricks wait in yard. throw said brick at vehicle. If thats me and that just happened to me Im going looking for him after that.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

Profit from everything. LOVE ideas like this. xD

Here is a Front end that I have played with and it is sweet

CentraFuse

carputer = computer in a car. i don't know about all the do-hicks you can get for them like the error code thing you're talking about. may be possible, may not be. you can get gps for them however.

all pieces are normal. i can run the carputer in my house if i wanted. only thing missing is the power supply...which is replaced by the cars charging system (all computers run off a 12 volt system, so there is no special power supply, just your car instead of a PSU). cases have fans but don't really protect from the elements. as they should be safely tucked away as you'd carefully place an amp away in the same manner.

i have my carputer taken apart and pieced together behind the dash without its case. it would be impossible for me to mount it anywhere else without having this big nasty box hanging around. i have 2 little fans cooling the small part of the mobo on the bottom deck, and two bigger fans cooling the main parts on the top deck. hard drive is down below all of it.

That is what you call a DVI connection

You will need a touchscreen with a DVI input

it says its touch screen so idk lol ill get it and test it out

I SCAM PEOPLE OUT OF MONEY... AVOID ME LIKE I AM AN AIDS INFECTED RETARD...

you should be able to get that adapter without having to buy a whole new screen...

yes you can they are cheap

Radio shack, Wal-mart, Staples ect..

so im confused lol so you think if i just get that adapter my screen with be touchscreen the box it came in has touchscreen as one of its features..... so im just thinking get that hook it up to the tv with the dvi side and hook up vga to the other and it will work?

thanks!

also if i have a bigger hard driver but has been used in a different computer how can i wipe the hard driver clean of everything so i can start fresh in this carputer??

You should have a USB coming from the screen also that plugs into the car pc.. the USB plug controls the touch screen.

Archived