Second Skin Audio

Comparing t/s specs

When using the sub in a daily system on music should the specs below be higher or lower? Or is there a range it should be in? I want to compare two subs.

Here are the specs im talking about: Qes, Qms, Qts, Sd, Xmax, and Vas.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Here i go again, passing the buck from Ed.

From what i have learned from Ed Lester, most of these parameters are useless. They are defined/measured with a mic about 1 foot above the driver using 1 watt. This condition is literally useless when it comes to car audio. When are you ever going to put 1 watt to a driver and have your head exactly foot from the driver in it's optimum enclosure? Oh and the surrounding area has to be acoustically ideal, thats kinda important.

I am in no way saying there is no difference. There IS a difference between 2 drivers with different parameters, but most if not all numbers on the list are useless. Things like Fs and Imp change all the time. I'm sure more do i just don't personally know which ones.

I'm also not saying ignore them, because i don't know enough to tell you that. I am just saying they are AT BEST useless for car audio. If we were talking a setup for a basement then thats different.

P.S. what do you think of the new avy? I'm trying to decide if its too creepy to keep.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

From what i have learned from Ed Lester, most of these parameters are useless. They are defined/measured with a mic about 1 foot above the driver using 1 watt. This condition is literally useless when it comes to car audio. When are you ever going to put 1 watt to a driver and have your head exactly foot from the driver in it's optimum enclosure? Oh and the surrounding area has to be acoustically ideal, thats kinda important.

I am in no way saying there is no difference. There IS a difference between 2 drivers with different parameters, but most if not all numbers on the list are useless. Things like Fs and Imp change all the time. I'm sure more do i just don't personally know which ones.

I'm also not saying ignore them, because i don't know enough to tell you that. I am just saying they are AT BEST useless for car audio. If we were talking a setup for a basement then thats different.

P.S. what do you think of the new avy? I'm trying to decide if its too creepy to keep.

Lol..of course B)

You made good points and explained them really thoroughly. I forgot all about that 1 watt testing. It does seem pointless the way you described it.

The avatar is cool. I was actually staring it it for a few mins before I wrote this response. Its unique, to say the least..lmao

Edited by hdorre

LMFAO so true

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

It's fucking creepy. I stared at it for 5 minutes last night.....

I have stared at yours before too...

Lol..of course B)

You made good points and explained them really thoroughly. I forgot all about that 1 watt testing. It does seem pointless the way you described it.

The avatar is cool. I was actually staring it it for a few mins before I wrote this response. Its unique, to say the least..lmao

Yeah, it seems like even in extreme builds little measurements like that wont change anything.

And i don't think ima keep it. If i have a dream/nightmare about it its gone. Just for the record i did not make it, just found it.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Yeah, it seems like even in extreme builds little measurements like that wont change anything.

And i don't think ima keep it. If i have a dream/nightmare about it its gone. Just for the record i did not make it, just found it.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I have a feeling ill be having nightmares..lol

LMFAO so true

Haha lemme know if you do, it'll go down. But until then i think its funny buttlick.gif

Haha..ur crazy

LMFAO so true

Yes, he is right. T/S data is important but for the most part it is completely useless. It will let you know what general stuff is good, but it's hard to get accurate readings at higher levels of testing.

Only way to see what's better is to buy them both and build the recommended box for each one and give it some power, then return the one you don't want. Besides the leftover useless box that you get stuck with (unless they both need the same exact box) it would be the way to go if you can pick them up in a shop and try them, otherwise shipping and handling sucks dick.

Show me your war face! AHHHH, that's a war face! It's pretty creepy looking, it makes me stare at it.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Yes, he is right. T/S data is important but for the most part it is completely useless. It will let you know what general stuff is good, but it's hard to get accurate readings at higher levels of testing.

Only way to see what's better is to buy them both and build the recommended box for each one and give it some power, then return the one you don't want. Besides the leftover useless box that you get stuck with (unless they both need the same exact box) it would be the way to go if you can pick them up in a shop and try them, otherwise shipping and handling sucks dick.

Show me your war face! AHHHH, that's a war face! It's pretty creepy looking, it makes me stare at it.

yeah, I'm stuck between an Ascendant Audio Havoc and DC Level 4 with lvl 5 softparts and an extra spider. I've hard good about both and the prices are about the same so I figured id look at the T/S parameters

LMFAO so true