Second Skin Audio

Ported Box for KMX-15

Redesigned box farther down, please check out both and tell me what you think

I'm pretty new at designing subwoofer boxes. I have built one and designed a couple. I came up with this design using Torres Box Tuning Calculator and wanted to get a more experienced opinion on it. I have calculated it to be about 3.97 cubes gross the box calculator says port displacement is .79 cubes (which I feel is a little high) and I guesstimated woofer displacement around .15 cubes cuz I couldn't find the actual number. This leaves me at 3.03 cubes net (3 cubes is the recommended for this driver). As for the port, it is 6.25 in x 6.25 in and I calculated it at 22.75 in long (after end correction). According to Torres this gives 39.06 sq in of port (it gives a range of 36-48 sq in) and 12.89 sq in of port area per foot and a tuning of 33.45 hz. I'm putting a pic below (measurements in pic are internal wood will be either 1" or 3/4") but does this look/sound like it would be a good box for daily SQL?

2mg8iac.jpg

Edited by Coleslaw

Did you try a regular slot port as opposed to the square port with only 1 shared side?

It will give a bit more room to mount the sub and free up a hair more airspace.

Much simpler build too.

this. theres no real reason to make a square port like that unless theres just a certain look you're going for on the face of the box.

torres calulator already includes end correction.. no need to do it "Manually" lol, he told me himself.

I just don't know exactly how torres calc lays out the port and such so I just used it as a general base and did it myself from there. Torres shows 15.75" physical port length but I wasn't sure exactly how that was done.

Did you try a regular slot port as opposed to the square port with only 1 shared side?

It will give a bit more room to mount the sub and free up a hair more airspace.

Much simpler build too.

Yea, I wanted to do a 3 common wall setup but I was having to make the port really long so I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it that way. I might try re-designing it that way. This isn't anything that is going to be done like this week, I'm just planning it out. It will prolly be built during christmas break when I am home from college since I don't have time to do it atm so I have plenty of time to play with ideas.

this. theres no real reason to make a square port like that unless theres just a certain look you're going for on the face of the box.

I know, like I said in the previous comment I might redesign with a 3 common wall setup. I just didn't at first because I was having to make the port so long to get the tuning I want.

much better

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0