Second Skin Audio

12'' sub upgrade suggestions?!?

I have 2 jbl 350RMS subs. I'm looking for an upgrade because I would like more bass for my highs (which are currently outperforming my subs by a good amount). Car is an 09 cobalt FYI. Not looking for 150+db and it is a DAILY DRIVER. nothing insanely heavy. My amp is the clarion dpx11551 (true 1550wRMS). I was looking at 2 jbl W12MK2 subs. Or two 12" DC lvl 3's? Basically just looking for suggestions, not looking to spend over $500-600 on the 2 subs. Keep in mind i'm in Canada, shipping is higher. Also, put reasoning for your suggestions. I appreciate it guys!

1 ssa icon with upgraded coils

system:

changes way to much...

I would say DC Level 3 10's,Fi BL 10's, Sa 10's.....Im even going to go out on a limb and say taht a pair of Sundown Sa-8's would suit you just fine...They are beastly I have one in my car and it was nasty...I got to gain happy and blew mine though lol but it was totally my fault

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

So you're saying I shouldn't face it in the cabin sealed from the trunk? I got mixed reactions from you guys, some of you say no, some yes. One thing that is good about facing it into the cabin sealed off is that I'll have a lot less trunk rattle. But you guys think it will be loudest facing backwards? I don't mind extra work but I'm not down to do a full wall or cut into the existing parts of the car. I know there's threads on what way to face subs etc. I've read them all but there's no set conclusion as to which is better. I have seen both methods hitting real hard. I'm also going for aesthetics.

I just dont like sealing it off, and have pretty much the same types of numbers without it sealed off. the only setup i did seal of gained me almost a db, but that was just for a competition, and its not really noticable daily.

and with a box firing back or sub forward port side will be easier to remove when you want to change things up or experiment more.

I just dont like sealing it off, and have pretty much the same types of numbers without it sealed off. the only setup i did seal of gained me almost a db, but that was just for a competition, and its not really noticable daily.

and with a box firing back or sub forward port side will be easier to remove when you want to change things up or experiment more.

Understandable, and good points. And for those NOT reading the thread, I'm going with two Fi 10's or 12's or two DC 10's or 12's, depending on how much ROOM I have in my trunk. Thanks fritos for your help on this, and others informing me on the best decision. I'll post again when I find out exactly how much space I have to work with and wether 10's or 12's are more appropriate. I have a feeling this new setup will be a huge improvement over my current JBL GTO subs. All I will need after this is your guys help on a good box design :D

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

I would say DC Level 3 10's,Fi BL 10's, Sa 10's.....Im even going to go out on a limb and say taht a pair of Sundown Sa-8's would suit you just fine...They are beastly I have one in my car and it was nasty...I got to gain happy and blew mine though lol but it was totally my fault

He doesn't have enough power for bl's granted he could make up for it in the box but he already decided

Understandable, and good points. And for those NOT reading the thread, I'm going with two Fi 10's or 12's or two DC 10's or 12's, depending on how much ROOM I have in my trunk. Thanks fritos for your help on this, and others informing me on the best decision. I'll post again when I find out exactly how much space I have to work with and wether 10's or 12's are more appropriate. I have a feeling this new setup will be a huge improvement over my current JBL GTO subs. All I will need after this is your guys help on a good box design :D

I liked sealing my trunk but it also does change the peak of the car i noticed my car peaked higher with it sealed off. And i didn't uses bolts or anything the car took a crap on me before i could really finish it and seal it off properly.

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

i have a lvl 3 12 in my ride..... your cobalt is just a tad bit bigger.... i bet if you made your oun box you would be good.. i say lvl 3 12s they sound better and move more air..... the one i have now is better than both kicker cvx's i had in my ride.... i have a chevy cavalier btw and the lvl 3 is cheaper soooo 2 lvl 3 12s and you will be happy

2002 Chevy Cavalier

2 Kicker CVX 12s

Hifonics 1500d

Kicker DS 4x6

Custom Ported Box 4.25 cubes tuned to 36.05 hz

UPDATE! while getting my car jack out of my trunk today I took the time to look at the space I had, and I definitely have enough for two 12" subs...I have two 12's now and there's still quite a bit of space left around the box. And the pre-fab box is really quite big. I'm going to try and contact DC this week and see if i can get pricing on two LVL3's. I am also going to get pricing on two LVL 4's just for the hell of it. If the FI are much cheaper I may go with them. All depends on what each company can do with the price, and shipping to Canada. I may have to wait a bit longer to buy the subs though because I got in a small fender-bender last week and I'll need a new bumper (guy's hitch made a hole in my bumper). I'm going to get a cobalt SS bumper/lip and keep this one for winter. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks and you've all been GREAT help!! I will need you guys again for some box design questions soon!!!

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)