Sonic Electronix

I recently added two stiffening capacitors to two amps. They were wired the same. The wire from the battery to the positive terminal on one of the capacitors got extremely hot, caught fire, and burned up. NONE of the other wires were even warm, not even the one from the cap to the amp. Anyone have any idea why this one wire from the battery would burn up?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Too much current for the wire size. What size wire is it?

That's what i was thinking, but why only on one side? and it's 8 gauge wire.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

That's what i was thinking, but why only on one side? and it's 8 gauge wire.

the longest run burnt up because it has more resistance. the shorter runs (cap to amp) can handle a lot more current because they are shorter, less resistance.

no go put some proper fuses on that power wire before you burn your car down. upgrade it too. obviously 8awg isnt enough, and it hardly ever is.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

the longest run burnt up because it has more resistance. the shorter runs (cap to amp) can handle a lot more current because they are shorter, less resistance.

no go put some proper fuses on that power wire before you burn your car down. upgrade it too. obviously 8awg isnt enough, and it hardly ever is.

You don't think 8 gauge is big enough for a 1/2 farad cap and a 1000 watt amp? and the same wire was powering the amp before I added the cap, but it was pulling pretty hard the electrical system, i figured it needed a cap...is it possible there's something wrong with the cap?

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I'm running 8 gauge alone to my sub lol

so? for 1 8awg speaker wire is really overkill for you. and second, maybe he only has a 500w amp. granted it sounds like he has more than that but I'm sure he will be just fine with 4awg.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

8 guage is ok for 1kw probably.

You might have hooked them up in series or something, or maybe you didnt tighten the wire onto the cap post well enough which caused a lot of resistance, no idea without some pictures and stuff really.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

1000 watts RMS or MAX? RMS you should probably upgrade to 4awg... should be fine if its 1000max/500rms.

1000 max, but it is a pretty long wire run, so I ordered a 4awg wiring kit. should be good to go.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!