Second Skin Audio

Need Help With My Sub Box...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum here.

I'm hoping that someone on here can give me some advice with what sub box dimensions to go with. I just got one 12 inch Alpine Type-X, and I had a box custom built for me at a local audio shop. I told them to build me a ported box to the exact specs that are listed in the owner's manual for the sub, and they built me a box that is almost twice the size....and it sounds like shit. Would the sub sound better if the box was built to the specs in the owners manual? By the way, this is installed in a '96 Monte Carlo, and the power is from the Hifonics BXi-1206D. The sub is not even close to being as loud as my cousin's two 12 inch Type R's in a sealed box...I'm sure that one type X in a ported box should at least be close to how loud two type R's are in a sealed box... right?

One more thing, when the guys at the shop got done building the box and installing the sub into it, they played it pretty loud in their ''Testing'' room. I don't think that is too good for a brand new sub... And one more thing, they had the positive and the negative wires mixed up from the amp to the sub...so the negative from the sub was in the postive spot on the amp, and the positive wire was in the negative slot. Could either of these things they did have damaged my sub?

I'm sorry for the long post but I need help,

Thanks guys,

-Nathan

reversing the polarity can damage your subs, and if they didnt warm it up, or it was clipping when they were playing it, that will damage it too.

x2 and if you haven't changed it to be right do that asap! whats the specs for the sub box that was supposed to be built? it always amazes me when shops that specialize in car audio get the simple positive and negative wiring messed up

MMM BASS OATS..ITS WHAT I HAVE FOR BREAKFAST

2 AudioQue HDC3 18'' subs

Rockford Fosgate T1 6.5 mids

MMATS 2000.05

XS Power D1200

Knukonceptz 1/0

Pioneer Premier DEH-P490iB

" Shit I can roll a blunt better than those bitches in Havana!"- Uncle Elroy

The reversed polarity is gonna effect the output alone change that asap! If you have already and its playing fine dont worry too much about it. yes a sub works better for daily driving in the reccommended airspace ansd whatnot, thats why manufacturers include them with the subs.

Edit: If you are not happy with the enclosure take it back and get your money back you requested one thing and they gave you another.

Edited by roscoe1129

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Yeah exactly what the hell kind of joint is this? If they dont make it better or give you your money back take that shit out in front of a store put your sub in the car and the amp then take a sledge hammer and bust that box to bits in front of their store and leave it there!

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

The owner's manual says the ported box should be 13.5'' X 15.5'' X 20'' (external)

My box is 14.5'' X 16'' X 34''

I'm going up to the place today and getting my money back for the box, either that or I will just cancel the payment n my credit card. What should I do about the sub? The thing is weak, it barely has any more punch than my two Alpine Type-E's did in a sealed box....If they messed it up then they are buying me a new one..

Someone tell me what I should do with the sub......

Thanks,

-Nathan

If i were you i would just try to return it, being as polite AS POSSIBLE,and not return again. The wiring incorrectly is pretty bad, and shouldnt happen. They will probably argure with you as to what you said about the enclosure's specifications, versus what they heard for the enclosures specifications, but if they have any kind of customer service then they will take back your box. I have had a bad experience with a shop, not identical to yours or anything, but i let them know that the help they were offering was actually no help at all for me, and i also added that i will not do business there ever again. I dont know if that meant anything to them, but I have spent around 1,500 or more in there so id say they lost a loyal customer.

I dont know what your shop is like, but some shops around here have just regular boxes that they have made stacked up for a variety of subs, so in otherwords they are just boxes that people buy who dont know much about enclosures. But if your shop does that then i would think theyd let you have your money back and they would just put the enclosure on the floor to sell.

Edited by Texas Tech

Baylor University

Accounting

definately if u have proof that they screwed up ur sub then u should be able to get them to replace it

always go to the manager and be very stern with how upset u r while being polite of course just dont be a push-over

Edited by IH8PunkRok

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

take it back and get your money back you requested one thing and they gave you another.

sometimes that could be a good thing..i ordered a T-4 and got a T-5 :D but in this situation i would def get your money back....

MMM BASS OATS..ITS WHAT I HAVE FOR BREAKFAST

2 AudioQue HDC3 18'' subs

Rockford Fosgate T1 6.5 mids

MMATS 2000.05

XS Power D1200

Knukonceptz 1/0

Pioneer Premier DEH-P490iB

" Shit I can roll a blunt better than those bitches in Havana!"- Uncle Elroy