2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Oz Rally Starter issue

My sister's 00 lancer oz rally recently had some issue with the starter. replace brand new battery, used starter, and worked for a few weeks. Then it won't start again, starter fried. Replace BRAND NEW STARTER and work for few weeks. Then fired again, replace another new Starter and fried again after two weeks. When the last new starter was replaced, the car would occassional choke/ idle very low and then normal again.... any suggstions guys?

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db

Powered by: Sundown Audio

how do the batt cables look any corrosion

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sounds like to me there might be an engine ground missing/verry poor condition. conduct a starter circut voltage drop test on both the positive and negative side of the circut. to do this you need a DVOM set on volts. put one lead on the positive of the battery, and the other lead on the constant positive of the starter, start the car. if the reading is above .6 of a volt you have a problem, either with connections, or too much resistance in the wire. do the same for the negative side of the starter. one lead on neg of battery, the other lead on one of the bolts that mounts the starter up to the engine. again you dont want to see a reading of more than .6 of a volt. if you see a higher rating on either side of the circut start with cleaning the connections. perform test again, if reading is still above .6 of a volt replace the wire in that circut. for the ground side of that cricut you would have to un bolt the starter and get a wire brush in there and make it clean. if after cleaning with a wire brush the reading is still higher than .6 of a volt i would replace the engine ground.

hope that this helps, and let me know how everything goes.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

hard to believe there are some people with brains on this site.

great response, good diag too.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz