codyb8909 Posted November 26, 2010 Report Posted November 26, 2010 NOOB to the forum....Are capacitors worth hooking up? dont seem to helpp tooo much
Playa Named Joe Posted November 26, 2010 Report Posted November 26, 2010 In most situations they are not. Unless, they are a high quality capacitor. These cheap $60 5 farad caps are nothing but a glorified voltage meter. Rockford Fosgate makes some great ones that made a huge difference in my friends car. Switched out a 10 Farad cheap cap for a 1 farad Rockford, and there is little to no voltage drop, maybe a .1-.2 drop at full tilt on sustained notes. I'm not saying Rockford Fosgate is the only company who makes good caps, I'm sure there are other ones out there. 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix build
EclipseChris Posted November 26, 2010 Report Posted November 26, 2010 For the most part, you won't get any positive outcome using a capacitor in a build unless you already have literally 0 voltage drop. But if they are poor caps in a poor setup they can do much more harm than good. i resolve to be a nicer moderator. Tercel build R.I.P. Eclipse build Old New V-Dub My feedback.
Rose-Villian Posted November 26, 2010 Report Posted November 26, 2010 Well I was actually about to install my capacitor on my T800.4 for kids and highs... its the Stinger 5farad hybrid cap... I trust Stinger so im sure it will work pulled it apart it has a large capacitor cell then a pcb board next to it coverd in miniature caps... so im sure it will serve its purpose.. do caps need to be charged or will My car charge it lol never played with capacitors... (I sound like a Noob) WWW.OSGINDUSTRIES.COM I LOVE HATER'S
Playa Named Joe Posted November 26, 2010 Report Posted November 26, 2010 Well I was actually about to install my capacitor on my T800.4 for kids and highs... its the Stinger 5farad hybrid cap... I trust Stinger so im sure it will work pulled it apart it has a large capacitor cell then a pcb board next to it coverd in miniature caps... so im sure it will serve its purpose.. do caps need to be charged or will My car charge it lol never played with capacitors... (I sound like a Noob) Thread jack? Most caps come with a charging bulb I think. I'm sure entirely how to do it because I had to leave right after I got it mounted for my friend. 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix build
SQMonte Posted November 29, 2010 Report Posted November 29, 2010 NOOB to the forum....Are capacitors worth hooking up? dont seem to helpp tooo muchThey can serve a purpose, sure, but the problem is that most people hook them up expecting them to be a miracle worker (by eliminating dimming when their beat causes voltage to drop to 12v). IMO, your electrical should be up to par before you ever consider installing a cap. Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
Guest Posted November 29, 2010 Report Posted November 29, 2010 if you can sustain your voltage, then yes they can be beneficial. if not, then no.
AMI CUSTOMS Posted November 29, 2010 Report Posted November 29, 2010 You are better off with a better battery then installing a cap. Even a small battery will run circles around the largest cap out there. Not worth it IMO. On my bro in laws truck we picked up 1.1 db on the TL when we removed his 5 farad cap on a Memphis mclass 1000. Just sayin....LOL TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain 3x Streetbeat World Record Holder 2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4 2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db 2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db 2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db 2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db 2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4 2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db 2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db 2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012 (4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log Evo X build log Facebook page The Black Nasty
MrSkippyJ Posted November 29, 2010 Report Posted November 29, 2010 You are better off with a better battery then installing a cap. Even a small battery will run circles around the largest cap out there. Not worth it IMO. On my bro in laws truck we picked up 1.1 db on the TL when we removed his 5 farad cap on a Memphis mclass 1000. Just sayin....LOL Thats not typical... You can also gain a full DB when you take out fuses of the equation too... If you are going for SQ, over SPL, use a cap... F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
ChampN252 Posted November 29, 2010 Report Posted November 29, 2010 *tears in eye* I'm so proud of you guys...not blinding bashing equipment. Oh and if I was to use a cap, I would go RF too. 2012 Honda Accord Radio: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.