Second Skin Audio

Securing a wall

Phlipcyde

I am planning on doing a wall in my car with a couple 18's, have been looking at some other walls that people have done to get ideas for my own.  One thing I noticed is that quite a few people secured the dance floor using all thread which is a great idea.  Unfortunatly the gas tank of my vehicle happens to be right underneath the back seat, so I cant just go making holes back there lol.  How else can I secure the wall to my car so that it does not kill me in the event of a wreck or something.

well find out exactly where the box/wall will sit in the car. make marks where your fuel tank will be (so you know thats a no go zone) and where the tank isnt , put as many bolt locknut,washer and nuts as you can possibly get in there and then for the top i perfer to wedge pices of 1x2 2x2 or 2x4 from the top of the box to the top of the roof so the box can not tip forward or back, it will put dents in your roof (i have a work van so you wont see the dents) it also helps with flexing of the roof when you wedge wood in there and make it supper tite so you have to use a hammer ...just a few ideas, its how i do it atleast...o and for the sides i dont do crap but seal it up

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

I highly recommend not to do a wall in your daily driver...

But if you want to...Best way of doing a wall is building it inside the car to take up every single inch...Therefor the box can't move for shit.

Why do you HIGHLY  NOT recommend a wall in a daily driver??

have you ever had one?  or drove a vehicle with one,  I Kinda enjoy it.  people look at you like your crazy and your system is HELLA LOUD if you built it Right and have some decent equipment.

Ever Sit next to a city bus and literly have everyone on that bus stare at you in disbelief because your shaking the bus like an earthquake??? 

If you want a wall,  Build dat bish, if you do it right you can take it out and return it to stock.

if your really concerned with finding a good place to bolt it down, drop the tank, bolt the floor down and put the tank back in.  you want to use large bolts/allthread 5/8's to 3/4  with massive washers in multiple places.

good luck post pics if you build it.

"people look at you like your crazy and your system is HELLA LOUD"

ive seen people stare at my van , as im comeing into a gas station boomn, trip and fall because they werent watchin where they were going, have had people run off the road going down the interstate because they are tryn to break their necks to look and see what i had in my van that was able to shake their car going 75mph....awsome feelin

"Ever Sit next to a city bus and literly have everyone on that bus stare at you in disbelief because your shaking the bus like an earthquake??? "

"quickly raises hand" lol

and im all for a wall in a daily driver , around where i live you just dont see it , so i think they are awsome, if i can find another car for personal use, im going to do a joke of a wall and load the wall with pyle or parymidd subs just for shits and giggles

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

Appreciate all the advice about this.  Looks like dropping the tank wont be a problem so I will have to try that so I can use the allthreads.  Little nervous about doing something this big in a newer car (06 civic coupe) but I have always wanted to run a couple 18" subs and I just dont see myself driving an SUV anytime soon lol.  Been kicking this idea around in my head for awhile but after seeing Meade put those 2 18s in his Civic he gave me some inspiration  ;D.  My 18" Q's should get here this week and hopefully Ill be able to get this project going,  been having bass withdrawls after pulling my last system out due to a blown tinsel lead.

Archived