Sonic Electronix

ok i was installing some new speakers in my truck and when i screwed them down the screw has a wide spot on th head to act like a washer and it went over the edge of the speaker foam... its hard to explain and i already have it all back together but anyway when the screw spun it twisted the foam and picked it up off the basket. here is just a pick of a similar speaker and if you cn imagine what im trying to say??... all i want to know is this now damaged or will the speaker still function normally? it plays fine but it happened to both 6x9s so i dont know the difference if its good or bad. it sounds good to me. but just thought i would ask. the speakers are not amped so there is only like 13watts rms going to each.

edit: silly me i forgot the pic... http://www.frys.com/ac/largerimg/index.jsp?sku=5634731

Edited by mprete

Did you back the screw out and let the surround settle back into place? if it isn't effecting anything then it should be fine. was there any coil rub or, was the cone still able to go up and down smoothly?

MY TRUCK BUILD - 1976 F-100 Ranger. Fully built 482 big block, 4 DC lvl4 15's in a blowthrough, plenty of custom fabrication.

MY HATCH BUILD - 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatchback . Clean daily driver, dropped, subtle customization.

teamxa2-1.jpg

i backed it off and tried to tighten it again but even the slightest tightening and it picks it back up. its only a very small spot but it seems to be able to function normally. i just dont know if maybe it would let air through and change the sound of something goofy like that. also if i took some super glue or gorilla glue and put a small amount to reseal it would that work or should i just leave it?

i backed it off and tried to tighten it again but even the slightest tightening and it picks it back up. its only a very small spot but it seems to be able to function normally. i just dont know if maybe it would let air through and change the sound of something goofy like that. also if i took some super glue or gorilla glue and put a small amount to reseal it would that work or should i just leave it?

honestly it shouldn't really change anything at all. this is on a 6x9 correct? i wouldnt leave it just because i would notice it sticking up all the time lol. you should be fine though. just as long as it didn't shift the coil and it rubs against the motor.

MY TRUCK BUILD - 1976 F-100 Ranger. Fully built 482 big block, 4 DC lvl4 15's in a blowthrough, plenty of custom fabrication.

MY HATCH BUILD - 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatchback . Clean daily driver, dropped, subtle customization.

teamxa2-1.jpg

Yeah bro, i wouldn't really worry about it. Its just a door speaker stuck in a hole. No pressure or space requirements, and a little more free air isn't going to hurt it. As long as you didn't rip any of the foam, or tear something detrimental, it should be fine.

mivtCK.png

yea no rippin or the tearin going on here and yes it is a 6x9. and they are behind my door panels so you cant see them anyway. if there were shoulg i would have brought them back and said i took them out of the box like that lol. but ok thanks guys that makes me feel a lot better. one more thing though. i cant seem to find much on interior speaker amps. i was just wondering if it would help my speakers cuz if it turn the volume all the way up i hear a little distortion with the bass like half up for the interior speakers, but if i take the bass all the way down i dont hear and distortion and they are very clear. would an amp help or just not make that much of a different if i get distortion without one?

yea no rippin or the tearin going on here and yes it is a 6x9. and they are behind my door panels so you cant see them anyway. if there were shoulg i would have brought them back and said i took them out of the box like that lol. but ok thanks guys that makes me feel a lot better. one more thing though. i cant seem to find much on interior speaker amps. i was just wondering if it would help my speakers cuz if it turn the volume all the way up i hear a little distortion with the bass like half up for the interior speakers, but if i take the bass all the way down i dont hear and distortion and they are very clear. would an amp help or just not make that much of a different if i get distortion without one?

no problem, and yes getting an amp for your mids and highs will help a good bit. just check all of your speaker power ratings and go from there. just a nice four channel amp would be good. and tune accordingly to get all of the distortion out.

teamxa2-1.jpg

on a 4 channel can you tune each speaker? cuz obviously i have 2 different size speakers. 6/9s in the front and 4 1/4 in the rear. and they have different wattage ratings... ive just never done an interior amp before. thanks again

on a 4 channel can you tune each speaker? cuz obviously i have 2 different size speakers. 6/9s in the front and 4 1/4 in the rear. and they have different wattage ratings... ive just never done an interior amp before. thanks again

You can tune then different pairs, so channels 1 & 2 share a gain knob and 3 & 4 share one.

TBH, I think I'd rather have them the other way around, or change the 6x9"s for a 6.5" component set and put the 6x9"s in the rear.

And although it's already been answered, they will be fine. The surrounds on my 6.5" components have been kinda crushed a bit by my door cards. Like, made narrower from where the door card pushed on the foamy bit that gets glued over the edge of the surround. Damn it is hard to explain, but yeah, just my 2 cents.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

well i have a dodge ram 2500 quad cab so it has the half back doors and rarely someone will sit back there. i was actually thinking that if i wanted to put a lot more money into it i would get the same 6x9s and fit them in the rear but i think it sounds pretty good how it is. i am going to make a build log of it even though its already done but its done real nice so you cant even tell any of its even there.