Sonic Electronix

Weird Sound System Issue...

I installed a buddies sound system earlier in the week and I've been trying to figure out the problem ever since.. I ran the Power and RCA's on different sides of the vehicle. Its a 2003 Eclipse, so i had to work around the factory amp since it wont work with a Aftermarket radio. So i rewired all door speakers and hook ed them in to a aftermarket amp. Ran the subs to the other aftermarket amp. (Both were MTX Terminator 600's)ran remotes to the two amps, used a grinder wheel to grind a spot that lead directly to frame to ground both amps. The HU only had one set of Rca Preouts so i ran a set of Rcas with Y Splitters to both amps. Everything is wired 100% correctly, amps are tuned, corect impedance. But when the car turns on there is a bunch of alternator noise through the speakers. Its so bad that there is no music playing. 1. I have ran different new rca cables same problem. 2. I have checked for pinched speaker wires same problem. 3. The only thing im not sure about is bad HU Preouts.. I'm sure that would cause it but the guy doesnt want to buy a new HU, Is there anyway around this???

Pioneer headunit?

thats where my money is

is therea ground distribution block?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

if it's a pioneer HU then ground one of the RCA negatives to the chassis of the HU.

If not a Pioneer you need to check the location of the RCA Y's...are they near the fuel pump? are they near factory wiring? Remember, Y's are NOT shielded, and create a point of entry for noise every time they are used. This doesn't mean you will always get noise, but there is always that chance.

Also, run a ground wire from the HU chassis to the amplifier ground. This will equalize the potential ground differential. I'm guessing you used the factory radio harness...always a bad ground for the HU.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Just try grounding out the Eva negative post. Take a piece of thin-ish speaker wire. Take all insulation off and wrap it around the outside of the rcas on the headunit itself. Then with the end of it, screw it to the headunit frame. Should be good to go then.

Archived