going to an audio shop?

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard....bigger wire means less resistance...which means EASIER to push through.

now, that being said, figure out how many amperes your amp is going to draw at full tilt (lowest voltage it's going to drop to, highest output, figure 60% efficiency) so 1/0 would be fine. you would probably be ok with 2 gauge, but if the amp will take a 1/0 cable....use it.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Like Boilermaker said, stop using that shop. The bigger 0gauge wire will not make it any harder for current to travel, actually the opposite, it may have less resistance than the 4 gauge. Resistance reduces current, not thickness.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard....bigger wire means less resistance...which means EASIER to push through.

now, that being said, figure out how many amperes your amp is going to draw at full tilt (lowest voltage it's going to drop to, highest output, figure 60% efficiency) so 1/0 would be fine. you would probably be ok with 2 gauge, but if the amp will take a 1/0 cable....use it.

i had a feeling it was BS, anyway now how do i figure that all out...i know my alt. is 110amps but i do plan on getting something like an xspower2700.

do yourself a favor...ask questions here...listen to people who have years of experience doing things correctly. if you can't or don't want to do the install yourself then tell the shop exactly how you want it done, and hold them to it. If they don't do it the way you want, MAKE them...meaning, don't pay until it's done correctly. shops that don't do things correctly don't deserve to be in business.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

around my area, most local shops dont know shit.

x2 everyone is huntsville AL is retarded

BUILD LINK: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/112034-2-sundown-18s-98-f-150/page__p__1565972__fromsearch__1#entry1565972

98 Ford F-150
Truck:
37" superswamper tsl radials
16" ion alloy wheels
3" body lift
2" suspension lift
Offbrand brushguard
PIAA driving lights
6000K HID's
System:
2 18" Sundown Nightshaed
Aq3500
Custom Fiberglass box
fosgate T1 6x8 Coxials
bass inferno 2000 watt 4 channel
2 XS power d3100's
0 Gauge

do yourself a favor...ask questions here...listen to people who have years of experience doing things correctly. if you can't or don't want to do the install yourself then tell the shop exactly how you want it done, and hold them to it. If they don't do it the way you want, MAKE them...meaning, don't pay until it's done correctly. shops that don't do things correctly don't deserve to be in business.

So true. Everyone's being so cheap these days, They want your money, and then they run. Your better off buying thing's yourself, and installing and learning through the whole process. If you get lost, Ask a question here, There's people gladly to help and guide you through whatever your stuck on. The more you know, and learn, The easier thing's can be if you are doing it later.

*06 330i - Sundern x12 - saz-3500*

*91 Foxbody V1 S-Trim Notch*

i had a feeling it was BS, anyway now how do i figure that all out...i know my alt. is 110amps but i do plan on getting something like an xspower2700.

wires of certain size can only handle so much voltage and current (power)... a 4 gauge wire at 14.4 volts will handle 125 amps...period. anything more and the wire will heat up. heat is the enemy of electricity. heat is the byproduct of resistance. each component you add to a circuit (wire, resistor, transistor, inductor, capacitor) creates resistance, that's why things get hot. nothing is 100% efficient. we do our best to keep resistance to a minimum so we get the most out of our equipment, but 100% efficiency isn't even theoretical.

you figure it out using math and the right equations. I will try to find them online and post a link, but I do most of it in my head now. the easiest way to do it is to look at the amp...if it takes a 4 gauge wire, it probably needs it. if it takes a 1/0...again, it probably needs it. fuse to the wire, not the amp. the fuse is there to protect the car, not the amp.

Principal

OP, you're in huntsville? if you want it done right, drive to Florence....go see Steve Cook at Audio X...this guy KNOWS, and will do it right, and for a good price.

if you've ever seen the Crossfire van video where the windshield implodes...that's him.

Principal