Sonic Electronix

I have a T1 12 in a 1.3ft^3 sealed box powered by a little alpine m-500 wired at 4 ohm so its doing around 300w rms. When i crank it up a bit on certain songs/frequencies it sounds like the sub is tapping on something? The guy at my local shop said its because i have my low pass set too high, which doesnt sound right to me because on my amp its turned as low as possible because there isnt an "off" option, and on my headunit its set to 63hz, and my high pass is set to 100hz. Was wondering if anyone knew what this might be and how i could fix it.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH5100-UB

2 - P1S412

4 - Alpine SRS-600

Alpine MRP-M500

Monster 8g power/ground-1/0 Big 3

Soon to come:

2 - T1D212

RF T1500.1bdCP

RF T500.4bd

Mechman 220 amp alt

Kinetik KHC1800

Hit me up if you need help with anything in the Tulsa Area.

Could it be just something rattling? are you sure the "tapping" noise is coming directly from the sub and not somewhere around it? always possible something isn't tight and is rattling at certain frequencies.

Bottoming out on the lows due to port tuning or area. You need a subsonic filter on that bish. Or what is stated above. 300 rms shouldn't do that.

reading>you...he said it's a sealed enclosure..ergo, no subsonic needed since there is no port to unload

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

could it hurt anything if gone unchecked? bought from a buddy = no warranty :(

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH5100-UB

2 - P1S412

4 - Alpine SRS-600

Alpine MRP-M500

Soon to come:

2 - T1D212

RF T1500.1bdCP

RF T500.4bd

Mechman 220 amp alt

Kinetik KHC1800

Bottoming out on the lows due to port tuning or area. You need a subsonic filter on that bish. Or what is stated above. 300 rms shouldn't do that.

reading>you...he said it's a sealed enclosure..ergo, no subsonic needed since there is no port to unload

he can still bottom out on a sealed enclosure. Do you have a subsonic filter? also you may be clipping it so its more like 500+watts and if its dirty that can cause issues

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

he can still bottom out on a sealed enclosure. Do you have a subsonic filter? also you may be clipping it so its more like 500+watts and if its dirty that can cause issues

Nope. And I don't have an O-scope so no way to tell for sure, but I wouldn't think it would be clipping if its a 500w rms amp wired to only 300w would it? Or can it still clip because of the load present?

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer

Pioneer DEH5100-UB

2 - P1S412

4 - Alpine SRS-600

Alpine MRP-M500

Soon to come:

2 - T1D212

RF T1500.1bdCP

RF T500.4bd

Mechman 220 amp alt

Kinetik KHC1800

Archived