Bakerman Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 my trunk is sealed off and not one drop of expanding foam was used. seriously? What did you use? I just thought it would be better for a noob (assuming this because he didn't know what "sealed off" meant) to use expanding foam.
Bakerman Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 what do you mean sealed off from the trunk? like in the back seat only? Like, get out a can of expanding foam and make the trunk and cabin 2 separate air spaces. what materials do i need to make this happen? For example, heres a guy who sealed off his trunk. Panama's Nissan Almera Now, he is a veteran of this stuff, and it is probably alot more complex than you are looking to do. He cut out his rear deck, then built the box in the car, then built the rear deck back...and all that allowed him more cubic feet in his box. But it does give you a look at what we mean by sealing off the trunk. Look around, and I'm sure you will find a simpler build though.
n8ball2013 Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 my trunk is sealed off and not one drop of expanding foam was used. seriously? What did you use? I just thought it would be better for a noob (assuming this because he didn't know what "sealed off" meant) to use expanding foam. my entire trunk has second skin damp pro in it. I gutted the whole thing and sealed every bit of the rear deck top and bottom checked the side panels as well. used a flash light to see if I could see any light coming through. if so stuck some more damp over it. I may have missed a spot or two but they'd have to be very small. my box is also very large for my trunk opening. my trunk opening is 39.5 inches and my box itself is 38.5 external. for that little tiny bit that I had to seal I used something like this https://www.hardwareworld.com/Gray-Air-Conditioner-Seal-1--1--4-x-4-2-inches-pKZR27F.aspx but in the dark grayish black that matches my carpet and box pretty well. just cut pieces off and double them up until you can't stuff anymore in. I guess I'll have to try to get some pictures in a little. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Bakerman Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 my trunk is sealed off and not one drop of expanding foam was used. seriously? What did you use? I just thought it would be better for a noob (assuming this because he didn't know what "sealed off" meant) to use expanding foam. my entire trunk has second skin damp pro in it. I gutted the whole thing and sealed every bit of the rear deck top and bottom checked the side panels as well. used a flash light to see if I could see any light coming through. if so stuck some more damp over it. I may have missed a spot or two but they'd have to be very small. my box is also very large for my trunk opening. my trunk opening is 39.5 inches and my box itself is 38.5 external. for that little tiny bit that I had to seal I used something like this https://www.hardwareworld.com/Gray-Air-Conditioner-Seal-1--1--4-x-4-2-inches-pKZR27F.aspx but in the dark grayish black that matches my carpet and box pretty well. just cut pieces off and double them up until you can't stuff anymore in. I guess I'll have to try to get some pictures in a little. yeah, but i would think that sealer would let air through. I mean it is pourous, meaning some air does get through. But the idea of dampener for a sealant is a real good idea. never thought of that.
n8ball2013 Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 my trunk is sealed off and not one drop of expanding foam was used. seriously? What did you use? I just thought it would be better for a noob (assuming this because he didn't know what "sealed off" meant) to use expanding foam. my entire trunk has second skin damp pro in it. I gutted the whole thing and sealed every bit of the rear deck top and bottom checked the side panels as well. used a flash light to see if I could see any light coming through. if so stuck some more damp over it. I may have missed a spot or two but they'd have to be very small. my box is also very large for my trunk opening. my trunk opening is 39.5 inches and my box itself is 38.5 external. for that little tiny bit that I had to seal I used something like this https://www.hardwareworld.com/Gray-Air-Conditioner-Seal-1--1--4-x-4-2-inches-pKZR27F.aspx but in the dark grayish black that matches my carpet and box pretty well. just cut pieces off and double them up until you can't stuff anymore in. I guess I'll have to try to get some pictures in a little. yeah, but i would think that sealer would let air through. I mean it is pourous, meaning some air does get through. But the idea of dampener for a sealant is a real good idea. never thought of that. ok never mind obviously Im not on your level when it comes to installing. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Bakerman Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 my trunk is sealed off and not one drop of expanding foam was used. seriously? What did you use? I just thought it would be better for a noob (assuming this because he didn't know what "sealed off" meant) to use expanding foam. my entire trunk has second skin damp pro in it. I gutted the whole thing and sealed every bit of the rear deck top and bottom checked the side panels as well. used a flash light to see if I could see any light coming through. if so stuck some more damp over it. I may have missed a spot or two but they'd have to be very small. my box is also very large for my trunk opening. my trunk opening is 39.5 inches and my box itself is 38.5 external. for that little tiny bit that I had to seal I used something like this https://www.hardwareworld.com/Gray-Air-Conditioner-Seal-1--1--4-x-4-2-inches-pKZR27F.aspx but in the dark grayish black that matches my carpet and box pretty well. just cut pieces off and double them up until you can't stuff anymore in. I guess I'll have to try to get some pictures in a little. yeah, but i would think that sealer would let air through. I mean it is pourous, meaning some air does get through. But the idea of dampener for a sealant is a real good idea. never thought of that. ok never mind obviously Im not on your level when it comes to installing. just was thinking that foam would be a little cheaper than dampener
iKidwell Posted December 18, 2010 Report Posted December 18, 2010 ok never mind obviously Im not on your level when it comes to installing. c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old. i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer. 2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan Build in Progress
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.