Rell's Door panel build

Rell

Tape down the top metal door piece to hold it in place for me.

DSC03562.jpg

Pre-drill some holes down along it.

DSC03563.jpg

Remove it all.

DSC03564.jpg

Foster bit so the screw heads sit flush.

DSC03565.jpg

Hit the top door piece with a few coats of some cheap rattle can primer I had.

DSC03566.jpg

DSC03568.jpg

DSC03570.jpg

DSC03576.jpg

DSC03574.jpg

DSC03578.jpg

Probably grind down the rest some more later.

DSC03579.jpg

**NOTE** This will not be my first time glassing but this will be my first real big project. Also first time wood working so bare with me. I'm just kinda winging it as I go along.

i'm calling :bsflag:. this is not your first. it's looking way too good to be your first lol. definitely nice attention to detail. always nice to see quality builds like this and little tricks that other people use in their builds. i'll be paying close attention to this and taking notes

lol it really is my first, man I been sketching up ideas/planing/re-searching/checking out other peoples builds on multiple other sites for probably over a year.

I'm just tryna take my time and make sure its done right and make sure the work is quality. I see builds where people could have had a way better turn out if they had a decent game plan and took their time and just not rush things.

Plus I'm pretty handy with my hands too, usually only takes me 1 to 2 tries to get stuff down. So I guess that's a plus.

----------------------

Anyways I got the card board laid out and glued down(5 layers of it) Plan to cut it out tomorrow and maybe get the trim piece cut for the front doors. Then I can move onto how I will mount these to the doors and cut "key hole slots" for the door panels clips. Once that's squared away I will toss them onto the doors for a test fit then glue down the trim piece permanently.

Man this is looking good, and you saved some loot doing with what you had and also making the table. Looks like you have mad skills man, keep the pics coming. Also think its a very educational thread, thanks for posting

117v1h5.png

2005 Lariat F-150

On 30 inch DUBS

6 Crossfire XS-V2 18's

2 Cactus 12k's, 1 Cactus 1000, 1 sundown 100.4

12 - 6.5 Crescendo mids and 4 Crescendo supertweets

SMD 340 alt, Mechman 270 alt

7 NSB 170 batterys

Thanks, Yeah I try to go into a little bit on the details of every step. Saves a lot on all the questions that will possibly be asked during the build IMO.

Update soon, I almost finished up these trim pieces for the front doors, but then my router died on me outta no where. After hitting up 3 different sears and dealing with a lot of moron employees working in the tool area I ended up getting a replacement that was obviously used and returned but I got $50 back plus a $15 gift card and still have my warranty on it. So a WIN I guess.

Todays work, got the table out and the used but new to me router and finished up these pieces.

DSC03630.jpg

Camera lens is pretty dusty, shitty pic.

DSC03633.jpg

I put a order in for a 100pack up Door panels clips from eBay to mount the doors, like lil over $15.00 shipped.

This is something like how they will be mounted. Just a practice on scrap wood.

Can't recall what size forstner bit bit I used. But drilled two holes.

DSC03602.jpg

Then drilled the right side one all they way through, left side one almost all the way. Maybe 1/8in of mdf left? Cant recall. Which is too thin and weak to my likings so some resin and glass will be added to hopefully put a little more strength into it. I wont solely be relying on these clips to support all the weight. I'll add some kinda bolts and brackets in there some where hidden under everything also.

DSC03603.jpg

Got the chisel out and got to work, self explanatory if you ask me.

DSC03606.jpg

Drilled out a hole in the center there.

DSC03609.jpg

Chisel out again.

DSC03610.jpg

Pretty much done.

DSC03599.jpg

Back side.

DSC03600.jpg

Clip in, bottom view

DSC03595.jpg

Top view

DSC03592.jpg

DSC03591.jpg

Okay I was in a rush to order these door panels clips, and they got here today. Well they were not what I was expecting....at all. So I'm wondering what do you guys use? And who do you usually order from online/ebay etc.??? I'm looking to buy a lot of them cause I have two cars to do.

Here are the pics of the door clips I got off ebay.

Ebay one on the left, stock on the right.

DSC03643.jpg

Stock left, ebay right.

DSC03640.jpg

DSC03639.jpg

I tried to slide them onto my test piece of wood with the key slots I made and they hardly fit onto there. I think they were going to break if I forced them any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived