Sonic Electronix

Four subs at 400W RMS or two at 1000W RMS ?

Just a side note to the OP, you could fit eight 12"s in there ..but good luck on making sure each sub can breathe. That's the point, not literally how many subs can fit in there.

I remember your last thread and it seems you focus a lot more on looks than actual performance. If that's the case a sealed enclosure will help you make them all fit.

Personally, I'd just go with three subs instead of four. More than enough room for three while giving you the opportunity to get a creative

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Running double there power shouldn't be a prob. as long as you dont clip them, I have 2 15's only handle 500w RMS and I am running 2k to them double the power just not clipping used a o-scope to set the amps. I would see if someone around you has an o-sope you could use if not keep the gain down no bass boost. x2 on what TEAMHT said

Edited by MDWSTBoom

Alpine 9886

Rockford mids and highs

MBQUART 4.125

2 xfl 15's

2 TRX2000.1's

Optima up front,Knetic 2400 in back

And do...pioneer championships =) on an AQ2200 and get some real bump! Possibly look into the ssd if you're willing to spend money

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Just a side note to the OP, you could fit eight 12"s in there ..but good luck on making sure each sub can breathe. That's the point, not literally how many subs can fit in there.

I remember your last thread and it seems you focus a lot more on looks than actual performance. If that's the case a sealed enclosure will help you make them all fit.

Personally, I'd just go with three subs instead of four. More than enough room for three while giving you the opportunity to get a creative

I focus on both, i'm not all about SPL by any means, but i want a loud system and i want it to look good. I'm planning on dropping to two subs for a while. I can't say for sure what I'm going to do in the future. In the mean time, i still need an answer about the safe amount of power i can deliver to the 400RMS subs.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Peak means nothing, as there is no official way to measure it unlike RMS.

I rather have 2 1000rms subs. Higher RMS subs usually are built better, and therefore better quality. Not in all cases, but in most I must say.

Well eventually that's what i plan to do. I will replace these two 400s with 1000s, but for now, i'm stuck with a 1700 watt amp and two 400 RMS subs, that's 850RMS to each, I want to know how hard i can push these subs without destroying them, if i don't hear any clipping, then it's ok too keep them above their RMS rating?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

first off i would take those caps (seems like in ur pic) out and a battery. and i agree with the rest. as long as u dont clip the amp then the subs should last with a lil more power. thats if the sub is built well too. i never owned those pioneer subs. i would go ported tho if u plan on over powering for more air flow and cooling. imo of course.

first off i would take those caps (seems like in ur pic) out and a battery. and i agree with the rest. as long as u dont clip the amp then the subs should last with a lil more power. thats if the sub is built well too. i never owned those pioneer subs. i would go ported tho if u plan on over powering for more air flow and cooling. imo of course.

Caps are for show man.. They kinda helped my bass response, but other than that, they look good when i pop the trunk, I have the big 3 done and an upgraded battery. the stock alt is decent enough to run the set up i have now, should be able to handle this new amp. the box i have now is ported, it's built to the spec's from pioneer.

ALSO

if i do want the 2 subs to see 400 watts a peice, but i have a 1700RMS amp, how can i set the gain to run the subs at their rated power? should i just adjust it till it clips? and keep it below that point? or is there a process for determining where the gain should be so the subs see 400RMS?

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Personal experience . I add 4 15s on 1300 rms sealed boxes . Was loud. N then I moved to 2 12s on 2500 rms sexy ported box . Was louder !!!! Sold those . N now going with 2 12s on 5k!! Hopefully would be louder !!! :) It's all in install but in my experience cone area was not louder, it was power.

Personal experience . I add 4 15s on 1300 rms sealed boxes . Was loud. N then I moved to 2 12s on 2500 rms sexy ported box . Was louder !!!! Sold those . N now going with 2 12s on 5k!! Hopefully would be louder !!! :) It's all in install but in my experience cone area was not louder, it was power.

sounds good man, the more i've been looking around, the more it seems like power increases help spl more than increasing cone area. but any advice on setting the gain on a 1700 watt amp so it puts out about 900-1000 watts? or am i jut gonna have to play around with it?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!