Sonic Electronix

Tune gains to decrease 1700RMS to 800RMS??

I have a Soundstream DTR 1700 watt amp, and two 400RMS pioneer subs. I'm planning to upgrade the subs soon, but in the mean time, I want to make use of this amp.. So the question is, Is there a process or method I can use to tune the gain so I don't exceed 800 watts? Or, is there any semi-accurate way to estimate the power the amp is putting out real time? obviously without an oscope or anything like that. My plan was to just mess with the gain and listen for clipping, or maybe even just eyeball about where to set it. I'd prefer a better method...Is there a proper way to do this?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I have a Soundstream DTR 1700 watt amp, and two 400RMS pioneer subs. I'm planning to upgrade the subs soon, but in the mean time, I want to make use of this amp.. So the question is, Is there a process or method I can use to tune the gain so I don't exceed 800 watts? Or, is there any semi-accurate way to estimate the power the amp is putting out real time? obviously without an oscope or anything like that. My plan was to just mess with the gain and listen for clipping, or maybe even just eyeball about where to set it. I'd prefer a better method...Is there a proper way to do this?

clamp meter. it will tell you your final ohm load (freq dependent). do the math with your final ohm load on the freq you first tuned your amp with (if you tuned it at all) and that is prolly the easiest quickest way to be ~800 watts. (just around that tuning freq)

edit:whoops clamp meter tells you amperage and sometimes voltage too.it doesnt tell you ohm load you gotta do math for that.

I don't fuck around. I go from zero to I hope you die in less than 2 posts

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

what are the sub voicecoil configurations?

2 DVC 4ohm subs, wired to 1 ohm. I know i could wire it to 4 ohm, but i'm not seeing any specs for a 4ohm load for the dtr 1700.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Assuming your final load to the amp is one ohm, you would be better off changing your configuration to a higher ohm load like 4 or even 8 ohms.

Expect to get around 500 watts at 4 ohms and 250 to 300 watts at 8 ohms.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

2 DVC 4ohm subs, wired to 1 ohm. I know i could wire it to 4 ohm, but i'm not seeing any specs for a 4ohm load for the dtr 1700.

You shouldn't need to worry about damaging an amplifier as long as you are going up in ohms.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

You shouldn't need to worry about damaging an amplifier as long as you are going up in ohms.

I wasn't necessarily worried so much about damaging the amp, as i was about only getting 500 watts out of it at 4 ohm... I understand it's the safe way to go, but it kills me knowing that I have a 1700W amp only putting out 4-500W, when i could mess with the gain at 1 ohm to get it around 1000W (hopefully without going over that and blowing my subs)

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

exactly what i would reccomend to just be done with it. wire to 4 ohms and call it a day.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

What good is useing all that power when there shouldn't be any positive gains from doing so?

The woofers are only going to get so loud, period.

Terryswork001.png

Archived