"security system" with night/day use for outside?

Ever seen those videos on the news where you can see someone do something but ya can't really see who in the fuck it is?

There is nothing worse then NEEDING to identify someone and can't. Especially something like a license plate. Asking to hit a target that small at night in the dark with surrounding blinding light sources like headlights and tail lights takes either a very well placed camera or a good quality camera.

DVR systems are very cheap and effective these days. Hell even a 4 channel capture card in a computer will solve 90% of peoples recording issues.

Cameras and lighting on the other hand is is like going from pyle to a btl's

Now, i'm not saying you have to spend thousands of dollars in a system, but in the case of cameras a little knowledge is key.

Some of the key features I look for in a camera is:

Low lux .07 or smaller. The smaller the number the better it "sees" in total darkness.

High Res. 480 or higher. Like a tv, the more pixels the more detailed the picture.

Auto Iris. This is where the eye opens and closes as light changes.

1/3 CCD image. The smaller 1/4 cmos is cheaper but so is the picture.

Line Lock With Phase Adjustment .this allows to set the gain on your camera.

Backlight Compensation. This allows the camera to refocus on the action and not the back ground.

One of the things I would avoid is build in IR illumination. This feature is crap is often times a crutch so they can sell you a crap camera. The distance on them suck and so does the range.

A good low lux camera by it's self with a stand alone IR illuminator will hands down smoke a all in one camera. A bulb style IR is a real unit. LED's are a joke IMO.

Last and final thing that is key in any system........ Lighting. The more lights you have on in a place the less likely someone will fuck with your shit. Also having the camera out in easy sight is a great deterrent for any would be thieve. Trust me, everyone in my town knows I have a very nice system. It stands out on every corner of my house.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

010-11.jpg

Cameras 1,2,3, and 5 are all PTZ cameras. All 4 work very well at night

4 and 6 are fixed B&W cameras that are setup to use IR illumination. BTW IR only works with B&W cameras, so be careful of what people sell ya ;)

7 is a rotating loop of all the cameras on a 3sec switcher

8 is the DVR monitor video out so I do not have to go into the cabinet and check the system.

Every room with a TV has a PTZ control box so anyone in the house can move a camera.

The system has a few more features, but I'm gonna keep that part to myself :peepwall:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)