Mechman Alternators

voltage boost module for my alt?

Hey Matt,

Just thought id say first of all that i love the 270 amp alt you built me for my 04 envoy, its a champ and doesnt even get warm when i have all my cars electronics on and my music at full tilt so great job!! trink40.gif

The one thing i was wondering is if i could get my hands on that voltage boost module we were talking about a long time ago with my car i had. You mentioned just throwing it in but i would prefer to pay you for it. How much is that unit going to be for it? (BTW, my engine is the l6 model)

And i was wondering, why does my engine speed decrease a little bit when i have my system cranked? I noticed that my rpm will drop about 300 rpm's when i have a heavy bass note hit but the voltage doesnt move at all. I also looked under the hood and when the engine is at idle and i crank my system the alt doesnt make any noises at all but the pully moves about 1/4 of a inch, almost as if its being pushed. is this just from the amp taking on that extra burst of a load i placed on it?

And lastly, my voltage up front is 14.9v but at the back on my d3100 its 12.6. what would cause a big loss in voltage like that? again, i do have the big-3 with all 0 gauge, clean metal surfaces for it all and everything. i do have 2 fuses on my 0 gauge wire that runs from the positive terminal in the front to the positive terminal to the rear batt but that shouldnt affect it right? and yes i did follow your every direction with NOT putting a fuse between the alt and the battery, those wires are un-fused completely.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

The Adjustable voltage boost module for your vehicle is $99 , I have them in stock currently.

The engine RPMs drop when you turn the system up because the alternator is getting loaded down. When an alternator is creating more current to feed the stereo, it requores more horsepower from the engine to turn, so the engine RPMS fall slightly from the load against the crankshaft when the alternator is working hard.

If you have that much voltage drop from front to back, you either have a bad rear battery, or resistance in the cabling. Try running a dedicated ground cable from the front battery - terminal to the rear battery - terminal in stead of relying on the chassis ground. There is resistance in those connections somewhere...

alright ill get some more 0 gauge and do a dedicated ground. what about how my battery in the front is smaller than the one in the rear, could that have any say in the voltage difference?? just trying to think about it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

ok, i thought so since its the same voltage batt and all that but i read on here from a few ppl that it makes a difference. but thanks again Matt. ill see if i can fix the voltage problem i have now with the back batt and once i get that straightened out ill get that voltage boost module from you. That will still be accessable for me even though i have a l6 and the alt is pretty buried inside the engine right?