First Home Build (tight budget)

Just wanted to say my original comment wasn't meant as a shot toward steve. After reading back over it i realized it coulda been taken that way. Steve does great work, I just wish people would take a second to look around and see that he's among hundreds of others who also do great work on here.

SMD: where the best of the best come to chill and talk about their hobby/passion/way of life. :drinks:

To the OP. All I can tell ya is check out audiosavings.com and parts-express for things like plate amps, small speakers on the cheap, cabinet building supplies, etc.

Just ordered the tweeters and mids today from parts express. Dayton DC28F-8 1-1/8" (x2), and Peerless 830862 5-1/4" (x2).

I have a few more questions. What thickness and type of material should i use for construction? Should i purchase two smaller subs, one larger sub, or stick without one? What are a few good options for a receiver?

Id try 1/2 on the towers & 3/4. Id use mdf for all. Craigslist or pawn shops have good deals every once in a while on recievers. Or like others said, plate amps work too.

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit

Did you buy the kicker subs on eBay?

If not, the Fi X series with a $100 PE plate amp makes an awesome budget subwoofer. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Did you buy the kicker subs on eBay?

If not, the Fi X series with a $100 PE plate amp makes an awesome budget subwoofer. . .

Yes, i bought them. would it be smart to only use one sub for my system? i had a thought about putting the other one in my car if i don't need it in the house

2 is fine.

What impedance are they and what do you plan to power them with?

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived