99 grand cherokee wont start

My buddy has a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the straight six in it. Basically it wont start.

He has replaced the battery...still wont start

The parts store told him to try a new alt (dont know why) so he did....still wont start.

Now they are telling he needs a new computer.

He said that he got a jump this morning and his truck started fine and stayed running. So I dont think its the battery or the alt and damn sure not the computer. Sounds to me like a bad connection but he said he has checked the connections on the battery. I dont understand how it starts when hes given a jump but wont start on its own with a brand new battery. Also he said when he tries to start it all it does is click, does not turn over.

Any ideas here?

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

only reason i didnt think its the starter is because he told me it started three times no problems when he got it jumped...just wont start on its own.

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

when getting a jump, the starter gets spiked as well.

if its not a bad starter, then just get a load test put on the batt.

see if the CCA are up to par.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

ok, did you replace the alt yet? also make sure the battery is fully charged. new ones are not always charged when you get them or have a new one installed. put it on a deep cycle charge. and yes it can be the alternator. so charge the batt and then have the alt tested at your local parts store.

He has already replaced the the battery and the starter this morning.

Educate me...how would a bad alternator cause the car not to start? Other than a bad alt not charging the battery, thus causing the car to not start. I dont understand how a bad alt would cause the car not to start.

I already called him and told him to have the new battery tested. But any other thoughts here?

d(-__-)b

nope just a click...like it would if there was a bad connection or bad battery.

Just an FYI, this is not my truck and I have not been able to take a look at it myself. I am going by what he is telling me over the phone.

d(-__-)b

I am stuck at work till 5 :(

d(-__-)b

Archived