Pick n Pull Alternator

looking to replace stock alt in 1997 chevy lumina 3.1 L

due to it being all gunked up n full of black oil n shit

so i plan on going to pick n pull tomorrow and grabbing a replacement for 30$ while i save up for HO alt

so my question is what do you look for when buying scrap yard alternators

year of vehicle- km- what are the characteristics of a good alt that i should be looking for

also wondering if i could fit another alt instead of a lumina alt say a large case truck alt??

to be honest with you i dont know much bout alternators just how to install haha

Edited by uhoh_45

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

where would i find said list ?? - or are you talking about at pick n pull??

if you are talking bout at pick n pull i would like to know before hand and do my research first

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

I would look for something with alot of stock electrical(Power windows,lights, heated seats, mirrors, v8's) Usually the more electrical a car has the larger the alt. I would just try to find something that will fit and then do a cheap rebuild.

96 IMPALA SS

Pioneer DEH-P8600MP H/U

Pioneer TS-C160R 6.5"

Pioneer TS-D690R 6x9"

JBL GTO755.6II

Stinger spdh-10 cap

100sqft. Fatmat

AQ 3500d

18" FI BTL 7cuft 35Hz

At a pick a part or LKQ or whatever they are called in your city, there is usually only a list of prices of each individual part. I have never seen a list of OEM parts at the jumkyard. I would google your alternator make model of your car and see what compatible alt might fit. Google is your best friend sometimes.

Edited by raolito1980

2012 GMC SIerra CC

System Build

Headunit--Stock

Sub Amp--DC 2.0k

Subs--2-SA8v2's

Enclosure--Need one made!!

Highs Amp--Sundown SAX-100.4

Front Highs--Rockford Fosgate T2652-S

Rear--Sundown Neo Pro 6.5

XS Power D2400--XS D3400

No Big Three yet!

http://www.youtube.c...ser/raolito1980

I would look for something with alot of stock electrical(Power windows,lights, heated seats, mirrors, v8's) Usually the more electrical a car has the larger the alt. I would just try to find something that will fit and then do a cheap rebuild.

yeah i was looking online here and found the OEM replacements are 100-105 amps tops so i'm wanting to find somthing bigger

making a bracket isnt a problem as i have what is needed i just dont know how the plug works on the top of the alt going to computer

At a pick a part or LKQ or whatever they are called in your city, there is usually only a list of prices of each individual part. I have never seen a list of OEM parts at the jumkyard. I would google your alternator make model of your car and see what compatible alt might fit. Google is your best friend sometimes.

pick n pull and i checked online for pricing and its 19$ for alt and a 6$ fee for something else

and i tried looking what type alts would work n only thing i could come up with was the lumina's sister car the monte carlo which is the same 100-105 amps

another question- are all chevy alts based off same plug? if so i could make a bracket for bigger alt while using same plug?

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

current build

Some chevy Alt's have a square plug (around 96 and older) and a oval plug (around 96 and newer). I would just cut the harness off at the junk yard so if it does't match you can cut and make it work.

96 IMPALA SS

Pioneer DEH-P8600MP H/U

Pioneer TS-C160R 6.5"

Pioneer TS-D690R 6x9"

JBL GTO755.6II

Stinger spdh-10 cap

100sqft. Fatmat

AQ 3500d

18" FI BTL 7cuft 35Hz

Some chevy Alt's have a square plug (around 96 and older) and a oval plug (around 96 and newer). I would just cut the harness off at the junk yard so if it does't match you can cut and make it work.

but all chevy alts work on same wiring diagram just different plugs?

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

current build