Second Skin Audio

Plywood Enclosures

I just installed my first system, 2 12" treo SSis on a hifonics 1600. Problem is, the box they are in(i didn't build it, got it for free) is sealed and too small and all in all is just a crappy box. It flexes really bad and leaks in some spots. The other day I noticed this weird sound when I turned it up, and my immediate thought was they were bottoming out. I don't think they'd be bottoming out saying that they're rated for 750 RMS a piece and my gain is 3/4 of the way up, plus they're in a small sealed box. So then I thought it might be the dust cap blowing off, but I'm still not sure. Would building a new ported box that is the right size stop this problem? I have one designed, 4 ft^3 @ 29 hz. My dad just informed me that we have some plywood laying around I could use to build a box. I'm not sure what kind of plywood it is, so my question is: Is any plywood okay to use to build a box? I know birch is like the best, but are other plywoods still good?

Team Flex Issues

'96 Mazda B4000

HeadUnit:Pioneer DEH-4200UB

Mids:4 Pioneer 6x8s

Tweets:4 Pioneer Tweeters, 2 Polk Audio Tweeters

Subs:3 15" American Bass HD 15s; Wall in progress.

Amplifier:Hifonics BXi 1608(temporary)

Stock Alt

Stock Battery

1/0 Power, Ground, Big 3.

I just installed my first system, 2 12" treo SSis on a hifonics 1600. Problem is, the box they are in(i didn't build it, got it for free) is sealed and too small and all in all is just a crappy box. It flexes really bad and leaks in some spots. The other day I noticed this weird sound when I turned it up, and my immediate thought was they were bottoming out. I don't think they'd be bottoming out saying that they're rated for 750 RMS a piece and my gain is 3/4 of the way up, plus they're in a small sealed box. So then I thought it might be the dust cap blowing off, but I'm still not sure. Would building a new ported box that is the right size stop this problem? I have one designed, 4 ft^3 @ 29 hz. My dad just informed me that we have some plywood laying around I could use to build a box. I'm not sure what kind of plywood it is, so my question is: Is any plywood okay to use to build a box? I know birch is like the best, but are other plywoods still good?

Turn your gain way down son. If you have a Digital Multimeter handy then you can use it to set your gains right. If not I suggest dropping by Radio Shack or a hardware store and grabbing one.

Then do this: Click this shit here.

Then enjoy your music without clipping the shit out of your sub. If it's not loud enough, go for the ported box.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Turn your gain way down son. If you have a Digital Multimeter handy then you can use it to set your gains right. If not I suggest dropping by Radio Shack or a hardware store and grabbing one.

Then do this: Click this shit here.

Then enjoy your music without clipping the shit out of your sub. If it's not loud enough, go for the ported box.

Gains were set with an O-scope...

Team Flex Issues

'96 Mazda B4000

HeadUnit:Pioneer DEH-4200UB

Mids:4 Pioneer 6x8s

Tweets:4 Pioneer Tweeters, 2 Polk Audio Tweeters

Subs:3 15" American Bass HD 15s; Wall in progress.

Amplifier:Hifonics BXi 1608(temporary)

Stock Alt

Stock Battery

1/0 Power, Ground, Big 3.

sounds like ur box is too small.... had the same prob with my fosgates... but i dont think any old plywood would work though man... like chip board will likely blow apart... make a big old mess jus when ya get playin some looooows. . . heavy dense wood is ur best bet. ive never used birch, but good ole 3/4 mdf works great for everything ive ever build.

-06' f-150...

audio.video.performance.visual

-08' yfz 450

all go. no sho

O_o gains were set with an O-scope and the gain knob is still turned to 3/4?

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

2v preouts cause you to turn the knob a good bit past half, I don't doubt it, prolly not all the way to 3/4 but it's a good bit past half I'd say

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Yes that could be possible if the source unit that's delivering the signal is shitty. However to stay on topic, you can build the box out of plywood, I would suggest that you brace the hell out of it. And also seal it up really good too, maybe even carpet the box too just to make sure you've got a really good sealed enclosure.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

2v preouts cause you to turn the knob a good bit past half, I don't doubt it, prolly not all the way to 3/4 but it's a good bit past half I'd say

Bah. 2V preouts. Never dealt with them. Never wanted to. Glad I never did.

Yes the box can be built out of plywood. No I don't suggest it. Drop $40 at Lowes or Home Depot or a similar place near you that carries good MDF and build the box out of that. The plywood isn't going to be as easy to work with and won't sound anywhere near as good. Also, you're going to spend more time bracing the plywood box than it would be worth. Good MDF, good glue, clamp it every which way and then let it sit for a few hours and then be done with it. Carpet/paint at your leisure. Better to have a good MDF box with no carpet or paint than an ugly ass plywood one that you have to drop money to cover up anyway.

wtf is lolcats?

Bah. 2V preouts. Never dealt with them. Never wanted to. Glad I never did.

Yes the box can be built out of plywood. No I don't suggest it. Drop $40 at Lowes or Home Depot or a similar place near you that carries good MDF and build the box out of that. The plywood isn't going to be as easy to work with and won't sound anywhere near as good. Also, you're going to spend more time bracing the plywood box than it would be worth. Good MDF, good glue, clamp it every which way and then let it sit for a few hours and then be done with it. Carpet/paint at your leisure. Better to have a good MDF box with no carpet or paint than an ugly ass plywood one that you have to drop money to cover up anyway.

True, but if you don't have any money to buy wood from Lowes yet have an endless supply of plywood to make and brace a decent box isn't that worth it? We're not really talking about a 150db monster build here. I'm sure if guy has some cash he'll go and buy some MDF if he could. But to me it sounds like he's trying to save some money and already has enough plywood to temporarily get the job done. Also building different enclosures out of free plywood till you figure out the one that sounds best to you is better than dropping $32 per 49x90 sheet of MDF any day of the week. Can always go back and rebuild the box with better wood once he figures it out.

Edited by pervitizm

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....