Second Skin Audio

Box volume & port question now

I just take how big the square that the angle makes is, in your case (not counting wood) is 6.5x16.5x46.5, figure that volume, divide by 2, then figure the volume of the entire box, as if it didnt have an angle, 35x46.5x24.5, and subtract. And to figure the wood you just subtract the size of the wood times 2 from all measurements.

not quite that easy. sectioning off the squares is the easy part. doing the triangle part of the box with the angled wood is where the precision comes in. since the wood is at an angle, the measurement of where that meets the flat part of the box is not quite .75" thick, and depending on how much of an angle there is will depend on how thick the two corners are, changing the volume ever so slightly. keyword there is *slightly* tho. our measurements were very very close :)

I just take how big the square that the angle makes is, in your case (not counting wood) is 6.5x16.5x46.5, figure that volume, divide by 2, then figure the volume of the entire box, as if it didnt have an angle, 35x46.5x24.5, and subtract. And to figure the wood you just subtract the size of the wood times 2 from all measurements.

not quite that easy. sectioning off the squares is the easy part. doing the triangle part of the box with the angled wood is where the precision comes in. since the wood is at an angle, the measurement of where that meets the flat part of the box is not quite .75" thick, and depending on how much of an angle there is will depend on how thick the two corners are, changing the volume ever so slightly. keyword there is *slightly* tho. our measurements were very very close :)

I think I kind if get that, but I'll have to mess with some numbers to make sure.

I have another question. I was told to get about 100sq" of port, is it really as easy as a 5" x 20" port opening?

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

yep. surface area of the port is port area. 5 x 20, 4 x 25, 8 x 12.5, etc. and not to contradict what ed said...but a 16 cube wall...with only 100 sq inches of port? that's 6.25 sq inches per foot. sounds awfully tiny to me. you sure you read what he meant right? just curious in case you overlooked something

yep. surface area of the port is port area. 5 x 20, 4 x 25, 8 x 12.5, etc. and not to contradict what ed said...but a 16 cube wall...with only 100 sq inches of port? that's 6.25 sq inches per foot. sounds awfully tiny to me. you sure you read what he meant right? just curious in case you overlooked something

I think that's what he said. I'm not 100% sure though.

I remember reading about a "rule of thumb" when calculating port area but I forgot where. It was a "x amount of port per cubic foot" or something like that.

EDIT: I found where I saw the 100sq" of port and it wasn't Ed, it was someone else and they were only talking about 1 18 not 2 of them. I FAIL. =[

what would you suggest for my port?

Edited by Berto

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

24" Rims

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

Why do people continue to worry about how much port area there is per cubic foot???? They are NOT related!

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

So 12.5sq" of port per cube is a good rule of thumb to go with?

And 200sq" is what I was gonna throw out since they said 100sq" for one of them but I wasn't 100% sure it was that easy either. lol

EDIT: no T/S parameters are available so I'm not sure of the Xmax and things like that but power for now is going to be around 6500rms total. It might go up to 10k though.

Edited by Berto

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

24" Rims

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

Why do people continue to worry about how much port area there is per cubic foot???? They are NOT related!

because not everyone knows what you do :P not being a smart ass...being serious lol. imo it's a safer to have that than to have people blindy make port area and hope it works. i've seen people ask me about boxes that had 5 sq inches or less for big boxes. and no matter what i think that just won't work

xmax and power dictate alot

even if u had the perfect port area and box that doesnt mean it will be perfect in every car, so a general "rule of thumb" is used alot moreso because there are many configurations one sub can sound good in

Different boxes will sound different in the same car, but port area should be sized based on the port operating without compression and noise which has nothing to do with the size of the box.

Sorry. . .just drives me nuts that a couple of manufacturers gave gross estimates on port area based on the drivers they sell so everyone is not calling them asking "how much port area do I need", and somehow it becomes a law that everyone quotes. And I bet over half the people quoting it have no idea how a port should actually be sized. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.