Sundown Audio

Jl Audio 1000/1

nathan89

Wanted to ask you guys a couple questions about this amp...

Does it put out exactly 1000 watts RMS, or is it like the Rockford Fosgate amps and put out more than it says?

Is it true that it does '1000w' at 1.5-4 ohms, and anywhere between 11.5 and 14.5 volts??

Thanks for the help!

Wanted to ask you guys a couple questions about this amp...

Does it put out exactly 1000 watts RMS, or is it like the Rockford Fosgate amps and put out more than it says?

Is it true that it does '1000w' at 1.5-4 ohms, and anywhere between 11.5 and 14.5 volts??

Thanks for the help!

all is right!!

generally the 1000/1 put out a little more thant 1100w rms/1,5ohm.....

yes , you'll have 1000wrms at 1.5 - 4ohms with 11,5v to 14,5v....

i had one off two 12w6v2.... good SQ system ;)

smd2.gif

Mercedes CLK Kompressor

Alpine CDE 9881 RB

Digital Designs Z1 <--------------fuc@@@@ng amp :(

15" Fi audio Btl full loaded

3.7 cuft @ 33hz with 50 square port

Northstar NSB 90

all 1/0 power and ground

Guest MegaloManiac

x2...they are not as overrated as RF.but they still put out true rms.great SQ amp.

thats cause of the highly regulates power supply. Notice on the slash series it puts out the same power at any ohm load 1 and above

I just gave up my JL amp collection (2 JL 1000/1 and 1 JL 300/2) over the weekend. The only reason that I am not using them is that the 1000 is the biggest one and I am trying to do a lot more power and I don't want to have a bunch of amps to try to fit in with subs, batteries, etc. I also don't really want to pay JL prices for more amps. They are not cheap.

One really big key piece of advice. If you buy JL, be sure that all of the serial numbers are in place, un-marked, un-harmed, and legit. In the event that you need repairs you are S.O.L. if there is anything wrong with the serials. If you have good serials, JL will treat you good. Even if you are years out of warranty, JL will only charge a flat repair rate of $180 for the 1000/1 (the price varies per item) and for that they will repair to new status or replace w/ new. If the serials are messed up, the box shows back up untouched. So, really, make sure the serials are legit.

BJJ20logo20resize.png

Looks like I might just have to get this amp... but I can't help but think it sounds too good to be true...

I can understand how it puts out rated power at 1.5-4 ohms, but how is it possible for it to still put out 1000w/rms at 11.5 volts?? Does it draw a higher amount of amps when it is used at lower voltages or something?

R.I.P.S SYSTEM ;)

Summary:

The remarkable R.I.P.S. System™ ensures consistent power delivery over a wide range of battery voltages and load impedances.

Detailed Information:

R.I.P.S. stands for "Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply" . The remarkable R.I.P.S. System™ ensures consistent power delivery over a wide range of battery voltages and load impedances.

"Regulated" means that the power supply adjusts its operation so as to maintain the amplifier's rated power output and low distortion operation over a wide range of vehicle voltages (11V-14.5 V).

Conventional, unregulated power supplies allow rail voltages to sag in direct proportion to drops in the supply voltage. This can result in significant power losses when battery voltage decreases, even if those voltage dips are short in duration. This manifests itself audibly as increased distortion.

The rail voltage and clean power output remains stable in real-world systems, resulting in superior fidelity and stability.

The "Intelligent" portion of the R.I.P.S. System is a circuit that actually monitors output current to optimize the amplifier's output power over a wide range of load impedances (1.5 ohm to 4 ohm per channel).

Conventional amplifiers are designed to produce optimum power at a particular impedance (2 ohm, for example). When asked to run above that impedance (say, 4 ohm), these amplifiers lose power (half their power from 2 ohm to 4 ohm). This will not happen with a JL Audio Slash v1 amplifier because the R.I.P.S. System detects the actual impedance being driven and adjusts output rail voltages to deliver optimum output. The entire process is seamless, automatic, and results in incredible dynamics for satellite channels and consistent power output for a wide range of subwoofer configurations. It also takes into account the real impedance of the system, rather than relying on often inaccurate assumptions based on a speaker's rated impedance.

The bottom line of the R.I.P.S. system is: Optimum power, at any impedance between 1.5 ohm and 4 ohm per channel, at any vehicle voltage between 11V and 14.5V.

smd2.gif

Mercedes CLK Kompressor

Alpine CDE 9881 RB

Digital Designs Z1 <--------------fuc@@@@ng amp :(

15" Fi audio Btl full loaded

3.7 cuft @ 33hz with 50 square port

Northstar NSB 90

all 1/0 power and ground

OK then . . . I'll play along and "assume" that JL's claim is true. Lets then assume the following:

P = (E x E) / R

where Power = Power in Watts, E = Voltage in Volts, and R = Resistance in Ohms

[Ohms Law]

Obviously, if Power stays the same when resistance decreases, then voltage MUST change as well.

Who can do the math to determine Voltage for the following:

4 ohms

2 ohms

1.5 ohms

Hint - Power = 1,000 Watts at all impedances . . . you weren't sleepin in algebra were you?

Now, take the voltage you've come up with for the amp to make 1,000 watts at 1.5 ohms and consider the following:

- impedance, unlike resistance, is not a constant and is ever changing with frrequency

- that voltage available at 2 ohms . . . or even 4 ohms . . . well, you do the math

- the slash series amps are unable to increase voltage with rising impedance, ONLY decrease it with decreasing impedance

I'll just put it to you like this - you may not like the answers you come up with.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Archived