Sonic Electronix

Amp goes into protect right away, Help!

if you believe you can actually fix the amp, do what you do. i've just seen to many hard headed people (not saying you are) pop an amp open and destroy an easy fix. If you don't have any good experince with soldering, i suggest to not even bother. but as i said, do as you please. its not my equipment

Haha NO WAYY am i gonna try to fix lol. I have 0 confidence in my ability to solder on a circuit board ha. I was just wondering if there is something i'm missing that might be causing the problem. Sounds like no, so i'm gonna call soundstream on monday and see how to go about getting it fixed. I've only had it a month, and it's been working fine. I'm not really sure why this would be happening all of the sudden. I just hope it was something defective and not my fault...

**EDIT

The only thing that's changed is i've never turned it up this loud... I got new subwoofers, (which i never got the chance to connect)so i was tuning the gain louder than before... Could the amp just have been defective? like so as soon as i really cranked it something blew?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

its hard to say. not everything from the manufacture comes out perfect. I bought an amp from maxxonics about a year and a half ago and it was "New" but I noticed once I got the amp in hand that the seals were already broken on the back panels. so seeing that i went ahead and popped it open and I immediately could see where someone had replaced some internal wires with a completly different type and had done some HHorrrible soldering job. It seriously look as if a monkey had "fixed" the amp...needless to say Maxxonics actually took the matter seriouse and within a couple of days had a new amp at my front door.

other wise, check your ground wire. for any 'kinks' if you possibly pinched the wire good enough it could have a bad connection.

which anything else I can think of, has already been listed above.

which you could always take it to a local audio shop to get them to glance over your setup.., good luck

BIG STICK

2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L v6 (Impound Status)

(New) Hifonics Brutus BXI 2010D - Courtesy of Maxxonics

(2) Kenwood KAC-8402 Amps for mids & Highs (ok for now..)

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP Head Unit

(4) 6.5" Soundstream Tarantula's

(2) 5.2" Soundstream Tarantula's

(6) 1" Tweeters

(2) Fi BL 15"

BX15 Soundstream Bass Booster

0g Streetwire

if you believe you can actually fix the amp, do what you do. i've just seen to many hard headed people (not saying you are) pop an amp open and destroy an easy fix. If you don't have any good experince with soldering, i suggest to not even bother. but as i said, do as you please. its not my equipment

Haha NO WAYY am i gonna try to fix lol. I have 0 confidence in my ability to solder on a circuit board ha. I was just wondering if there is something i'm missing that might be causing the problem. Sounds like no, so i'm gonna call soundstream on monday and see how to go about getting it fixed. I've only had it a month, and it's been working fine. I'm not really sure why this would be happening all of the sudden. I just hope it was something defective and not my fault...

**EDIT

The only thing that's changed is i've never turned it up this loud... I got new subwoofers, (which i never got the chance to connect)so i was tuning the gain louder than before... Could the amp just have been defective? like so as soon as i really cranked it something blew?

I do have to ask, have you turned the amp back down and seen if it still goes into protect mode? your amp could be tryin to pull power that you may not have to offer and goin into protect when its basically tarved of power

BIG STICK

(6) 1" Tweeters

(2) Fi BL 15"

0g Streetwire

**EDIT

I do have to ask, have you turned the amp back down and seen if it still goes into protect mode? your amp could be tryin to pull power that you may not have to offer and goin into protect when its basically tarved of power

Wouldn't that only happen if there was music playing tho? I meant it protects as soon as it turns on, no RCA or anything else connected.

And as for the ground wire, I'm pretty positive it's fine, everything looks good, And it reads fine on the DMM. I want to figure out what happened if I DO get it repaired or replaced and stuff, I don't want to hook it up and blow it again. I really would like to figure out what happend :shrug:

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

**EDIT

I personally, can't think of any reasons off hand.. only thing i would say is next time, don't turn your gains,subfilters etc. up unless the amp is powered Off. thats all i can say with out being there to see it. i know its stress full, these things have happend to me before. just contact soundstream and/or a local shop on monday. some shops are open on sundays. lemme know if you figure it out though, its got me pondering..

Wouldn't that only happen if there was music playing tho? I meant it protects as soon as it turns on, no RCA or anything else connected.

And as for the ground wire, I'm pretty positive it's fine, everything looks good, And it reads fine on the DMM. I want to figure out what happened if I DO get it repaired or replaced and stuff, I don't want to hook it up and blow it again. I really would like to figure out what happend shrug.gif

BIG STICK

(6) 1" Tweeters

(2) Fi BL 15"

0g Streetwire

I personally, can't think of any reasons off hand.. only thing i would say is next time, don't turn your gains,subfilters etc. up unless the amp is powered Off. thats all i can say with out being there to see it. i know its stress full, these things have happend to me before. just contact soundstream and/or a local shop on monday. some shops are open on sundays. lemme know if you figure it out though, its got me pondering..

BIG STICK

(6) 1" Tweeters

(2) Fi BL 15"

0g Streetwire

If i figure something out i'll post it here. The only shop around here besides best buy is closed tomorrow. but i'm gonna take it down monday and see if they can find something wrong with my setup. I'll ive soundstream a call as well.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

has the amp ever got hot? what guage wire are you running?

i had this same problem but i had the wrong size wire and it actually melted the solder in the fuse (didnt appear to be blown at all)

Vehicle: 2017 Chevrolet Silverado High Country

Electrical: 320A Singer Alt, (2) Limitless Lithium 15ah, Full Throttle FT680-48

Speakers: Stevens Audio SA 6 (ACTIVE), Audio Designs 3”

Subwoofer: (4) B2 Audio XM 8’s

Amplifiers: (2) B2 Audio Rage 2500.1, (1) B2 Audio Rage 1200.6

Processors: NavTv M650 (integration), Helix DSP Pro MK2

Silverado Build Log

has the amp ever got hot? what guage wire are you running?

i had this same problem but i had the wrong size wire and it actually melted the solder in the fuse (didnt appear to be blown at all)

No, the amp has never been hot to the touch, in fact it's usually quite cold cause it's in my trunk and it's winter lol. And i'm using 4 gauge, that's the biggest the terminals on the amp will accept.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I'm pretty scared, no lie. If i get this amp fixed or get another one i am going to be TERRIFIED to hook it back up to the same setup... I still haven't found anything wrong, all i can think is maybe the amp is defective... like it's wired SO simply... I'll put the set up on here so you can tell me if there is anything wrong...

Stock, the battery is in the trunk, so the battery + has all the factory wire connections to it, as well as a 0 gauge alt charge wire straight from the output of the alternator, and a 4 gauge wire that goes to a 150 amp anl fuse(which is good, i checked it AND replaced it), then to my amp. The amp's ground is like, less than two feet away, on a grounding bolt i put into the bottom of the trunk, (it's a unibody car, i sanded the paint, i voltage-drop checked it with a DMM, it's a good ground), on the same grounding bolt is the factory ground connections that were on the battery, and then a 0 guage wire from that point to the battery, like, 1 foot away.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!