14.5-15v power supply?

Right... So this evening, my friend gave me a tweeter and a sub from a DCM loud speaker. I am looking at making a first system for my room. On the list of things to get is a midrage, amp, power supply, and Xovers (along with boxes)

Before I go into investing in everything else, I would like to know if it is possible to convert a computer power supply to a 14.5-15v power supply? I would like to stay with using car audio equipment so that when I get my first car, I can install it there. I would get a battery and good charger, but being 16 - I am strapped for cash, and will have to settle for cheap on this one. Worst case is that I just linka few power supplies together and settle for 12v, but if possible, I would like to get more voltage than that.

Here's how to get to 13v+ on most ATX PSU's: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37574

Generally not wise to run multiple PSU's in parallel on the same amp and very inefficient as well in the long run. If you intend to use car audio equipment in home on a modified ATX power supply its best to just stick within the limits of one for each component until you get a dedicated power unit built for the task (usually fairly cheap on ebay).

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Here's how to get to 13v+ on most ATX PSU's: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37574

Generally not wise to run multiple PSU's in parallel on the same amp and very inefficient as well in the long run. If you intend to use car audio equipment in home on a modified ATX power supply its best to just stick within the limits of one for each component until you get a dedicated power unit built for the task (usually fairly cheap on ebay).

Thanks! I don't think I will go to ebay though. My school is in the process of getting new computers, so they have a bunch of power supplies laying around. I'll just go to them for it. As for the not linking them together: I didn't know that. Good to know :drinks:

• 1 month later...

Ok. My value village has some UPS power supplies. They take a standard 12v motorcycle battery. I figure: Battery and power supply in 1.

Would this work? I'm only looking to push around 300w of power through the system tops. My only question is if the power supply in the ups system can push that kind of power, or if it is a slow charging / trickle charge system

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. My value village has some UPS power supplies. They take a standard 12v motorcycle battery. I figure: Battery and power supply in 1.

Would this work? I'm only looking to push around 300w of power through the system tops. My only question is if the power supply in the ups system can push that kind of power, or if it is a slow charging / trickle charge system

on the battery thing i wouldn't suggest it because it will back feed into the power supply makeint it turn on and will prolly not get the full output from it like this

i got 2 900w server power supplys and 1 150w computer power supply

my server power supplys run 12-13v @ 15amps or is susposto but how i have to wire it from them to power on my red 5v leg went from 5v while power supply is off to 18.6v while its powered on, i dont know why but it wont power on unless i wire it this way

imo if u can ied try running it @ 220v to see if it changes in output

mine are verable from 110-440v i think ecept for the 150w, the 900w are 20amp surge, 15amp 12v and 30amp 5v rails, but when i wire something up to it its not like its got any high current flowing, i cant even run a headunit off of it without it distorting all to shit lol

how do u get the most amp output out of ur power supply?

mine is different i might take a pic of it tommrow to show u what mine look like, they got 2 3 or 4'' fans on the end to cool it

i was looking at figureing out how to convert the 18v 30amp rail to 14v to see how it would sufice in running something but it dont put out as much current as my 150w power supply does

im not trying to thread jack, some of my questions will pop up with what ur doing down the road as they have with me, my big power supplys are like 3 or 4'' thick, 15'' deep and prolly 24'' wide @ like 10-15 lbs lol, there big but i want output so i dunno how to wire em

anyways good luck with what ur doing =)

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Look at the VA rating. If they are around 500VA or larger you should be ok for 300W.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

• 1 month later...

Right... So this evening, my friend gave me a tweeter and a sub from a DCM loud speaker. I am looking at making a first system for my room. On the list of things to get is a midrage, amp, power supply, and Xovers (along with boxes)

Before I go into investing in everything else, I would like to know if it is possible to convert a computer power supply to a 14.5-15v power supply? I would like to stay with using car audio equipment so that when I get my first car, I can install it there. I would get a battery and good charger, but being 16 - I am strapped for cash, and will have to settle for cheap on this one. Worst case is that I just linka few power supplies together and settle for 12v, but if possible, I would like to get more voltage than that.

why do you want higher Voltage, a 12 PSU is enough for a car amp and also im 14 and i run my system with a 60 Ah Car battery and a 4 amp battery charger and i let that be on all time and that works iine and i have 2 800 watt subwooferand a MDS amp that im not sure of the wattege on but this was the cheapest solution for me and i dont either have much money so my tip is that you shuld do that aswell it will be less painful:) i was gonna make a power supply with dad but we culdnt find a transformator that was powerful enough and as my amp takes about 50 amps and there was some companies that made customer optimized transformators but that was pretty hard so best way and cheapest way is to get a car battery and a charger or eve better :P get a bike and remove the wheels and put a alternator instead and when u waint it to run u get on the bike:P

Why not just go to radio shack and buy a home audio reciever / amp and do not damage the house electrical by pulling too much current ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Why not just go to radio shack and buy a home audio reciever / amp and do not damage the house electrical by pulling too much current ...

there's these things called fuses...

Hammerdown... 1%

Archived