Second Skin Audio

Trying to build a LOUD regular cab truck box

Miles

To start off with i've got a 99 Dodge 1500 regular cab truck. I've been through various boxes with different results, all getting progressively louder. I started off with a 2 cube box tuned to 34 hz with a 3" aero port (137.8dB), then i went to a fiberglass box that was 2.4 cubes with 6" aero port tuned to 36hz (140.0 dB), both of which were behind the seats (at different times of course). Now i've got a 1.8 cube center console box with 38 sq.in. of port tuned to 34hz (141.6 dB). I'm really wanting to go with a box behind the seat again so i can get my center seat back, but i don't want to go down in dB's. I know it can be done, i just would like to know from you guys what a good box volume, port size, and tuning frequency would be good to play the lows without bottoming out and to be hitting up around 141-142, or even higher. And btw, my truck resonates at 40 hz.

The equipment i'm running for my sub stage is:

Fi 12" Bl D2

Powerbass 1500.1

2 batteries under the hood and a stinger sp1700 behind drivers seat

I can go up to about 2.2 cubes (.75 inch MDF for material).

If you need more information i can provide, but i believe i've covered everything.

So far what i've come up with is about a 1.9 cube box, sub behind passenger seat facing forward, and port above the sub facing the passenger side of the truck coming out the side of the box, port being about 28 sq.in. tuned to about 34hz. Does this sound like a good box to be able to keep musical while keeping my score above 140? This seems like the best design i've seen in regular cab trucks for getting loud behind the seat.

Thank you.

Definitely not cutting into this truck. I've taken good care of it, and i'm not gonna start creating problems (even though i've loosened a lot of screws with the center console box that's in there now). But i liked the cleanliness of a box behind the seat like i had before, but i want to be as loud as this center box, or possibly louder. Oh and here's some pictures:

DSC01255.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

DSC01259.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

DSC01250.jpg

And here's a picture of the truck.

DSC01227.jpg

port out the side but to the driver side.

sub on pass side

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Put a 12 behind each seat (box across entire back of the cab) and have the port come out facing upwards where the center console is now. You get louder and you get your center seat back.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Thanks Ray. That's what my previous boxes were, but when i would do an outlaw run it seemed like i was losing all of my pressure, so that's why i thought port to the passenger side. Also, any ideas of port size and tuning?

STEvil: If you don't mind giving me money for another Fi Bl i'd gladly do 2 12's. Haha. Funds are low at the moment, so i just want to do 1 12 for now. That is a good idea though with the ports going up in the middle.

outlaw.. yeah that will do that.

so you want a loud outlaw run truck, or loud when your driving it?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Loud when i'm driving it. I just meter outlaw sometimes at competition, but most of the time i meter on the dash. Just something that plays well daily, but to be as loud (preferably louder) as my center console box that does a 141.6 on the dash.

Hmm... a loud single cab dodge you say..

here is some stuff ive done to my friends dodge, and its nice and loud

DSC00248.jpg

its kinda tight on leg room though

DSC00254.jpg

but youll have about 5+ cubes if you go that way. I think its like 18 or 19 high, 12.5 deep, and 55 but can go up to 61 wide, amp under the center seat.

but then i went and did something i thought was impossible, when he first came to me wanting 2 12s i said it would be tough.. but then i did this with no sweat.

4 12s

DSC00572.jpg

i think it was somewhere around 6 cubes

the 2 12s will do 45s daily port and 50s comp port, the 4 will do high 47s daily port and 48s comp port.

Archived