Second Skin Audio

Question for AI Ray and other Sub/Enclosure Experts

Sorry I missed this..

In a sealed box you are only hear the front wave of the speaker..

Kind of like how a piston on has compression at tdc

Imagine if a piston would build compression on both the up and down stroke..

Same theory, kind of.. With porter you are able to "hear" both the front and back wave.

In theory, 2 of your 12's in a potted box, will be just as loud as 4 in your sealed box.

Thank you for chiming in Ray. Now this is an explanation that a horsepower junkie like myself can understand. :drinks:

Warm Regards,

Dyno Brian

1997 Ford Probe

|Sony Head Unit|Alpine V12 AccuClass-D MRD M1000 Amplifier|4 RE AUDIO SRX12D4 12's|Mids and Highs coming soon!|

|1998 Mustang GT Twin Turbo|1986 Mustang GT Single Turbo|1996 Mustang Mystic Cobra N20|1995 Mustang Cobra 5,000 miles|

2002 ZO6

Mustang%20on%20Dyno.jpg

as for the airspace, its all about the pressure inside the box. more pressure is the same thing as having stiffer suspension. and that means more mechanical power handling.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

You have to account for the port in the displacement. That is as simple as it gets. And sealed allows the sub to load properly so you get an increase in handling, this is why 4th orders are so damn loud. LOL

but still...don't companies rate their subs with xx net volume sealed, and xx net volume ported? the ported volume is still higher, but being net volume, all displacements should have already been taken out, including port displacement. i know it's been answered already, just pointing out something

EDIT: just an example...sundown had rated their E8's at .28 cubes sealed, and .6 ported

Edited by Torres

You have to account for the port in the displacement. That is as simple as it gets. And sealed allows the sub to load properly so you get an increase in handling, this is why 4th orders are so damn loud. LOL

but still...don't companies rate their subs with xx net volume sealed, and xx net volume ported? the ported volume is still higher, but being net volume, all displacements should have already been taken out, including port displacement. i know it's been answered already, just pointing out something

you are correct.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

And which one do they recommend as louder or for SPL? Ported or sealed? LOL I get your point.

Edited by AMI CUSTOMS

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

And which one do they recommend as louder or for SPL? Ported or sealed? LOL I get your point.

haha i know :P i always just assume technical jibber jabber that probably goes way above my head