TESTING a Prototype woofer in the BOSWELL's Metro!!

Thanks to Kevin from Atmos Audio for sending me his woofer to test out. It's like he trusts me or something... the biggest problem (for him)... he told me to abuse it...

your wish is my command sir... ahahahahahahahahaha

now... lets see what this thing can do!

The Boswells lent their "DDBEAST" Metro for the day and Kevin at Atmos Audio provided the woofer...

Up for testing... The Atmos Audio "EXO" series 15" woofer. This woofer has alot of gut wrenching SPL at the twist of a knob.

(remember this is a prototype woofer, so it is not the finished product)

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

The Digital Designs DDZ15 we use in the metro is a Dual 2 ohm woofer. We have the Digital Designs DDZ running parallel to 1 ohm on a pair of strapped Powerbass XTA5000d amplifiers. The amplifiers are rated at 2 ohm strapped, but with box rise at our peak frequency of 61hz we end up with 1.99ohm and the amps have never skipped a beat.

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

For This test, Atmos Audio sent over a dual 1 ohm woofer, with plans of sending a dual 2 ohm recone kit for us to test for a closer test vs. the DD.

The Powerbass amplifiers we already know were close enough to the minimum the amplifiers could take without going into protect, or causing damage. We like our Powerbass XTA amplifiers so we are not going to do that.

The Atmos Audio EXO dual 1 ohm voice coils were wired in series to give us a 2ohm load, with the box rise ending up around 3.3ohm. This means less power will be going to the Atmos vs. the DD. Please keep that in mind as you read the rest of this and see the videos at the bottom.

We pulled the ever annihilating Digital Designs DDZ 15" Woofer out and gave it a rest on the bench for a few minutes. It's relaxing and enjoying itself, as it looks on to see how the Atmos would do.

The Atmos dropped into place very nicely in the oak enclosure in the back of the metro. This box was designed for one purpose, to be as loud as possible on the TermLab SPL sensor sytem. Not for listening purposes, this box is meant to put a trophy in your hand.

Wired up, ready to go, we ran a few test runs, two each in the kickpanel with the doors and windows closed (NSPL style), "legal" windshield location (as used by dBdrag as well as NSPL and other organizations), and last in the PCA series location (one inch from dash, center of windshield).

Pleased with the scores, I ran home and grabbed a video camera so I could get it on vid for you. So, here you go...

first up... a quick vid of the woofer itself...

second up... a vid of scores on the Termlab...

Enjoy!

Thanks to Kevin at Atmos Audio for the chance at testing.

Thanks to Batcap for building a battery that can keep our amps running strong and getting consistent voltage and power meaning more accurate readings!

DSC00739.jpg

Vid 1

Vid 2

looks heavy

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

who in there right mind you tell YOU to test a woofer? your just gunna blow it the fuck up :)

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Thats one huge motor, how much does that sucker weigh?

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Thats one huge motor, how much does that sucker weigh?

Fixed.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Archived