Horrible Gas Mileage, How Much to Replace...

Alright, so with my 1999 dodge grand caravan se 3.3 flex fuel van I have been getting really bad gas mileage lately, I thought it was a bit normal because of winter, but I finally hit 9.8 mpg, and I was just freaking pissed. I hooked up a code scanner after the engine light went on, said o2 oxygen heated oxygen sensor malfunction, which I know is the cause of this now. Main question is does any one know if I can replace it myself pretty easy? or how much shops usually charge to replace these, it looks like the sensor is about 50 dollars on it own, and I might as well replace both. Thanks for any input

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

there pretty easy to change. just jack up the van and crawl underneath. takes about 10mintues to replace. at chevy where i work they would charge about 126ish just for the labor.

old set up

Alpine IDA-X305S

Memphis M-Class 4x6"

Focal Access 6.5"

Hifonics BRZ2100.1D

2x DC Audio Lvl 4 15's

Big 3, DR44 Alt, Yellow Top

http://www.youtube.com/user/SicNoma003

Also while your at it you might as well do some other things to help your mileage. Seafoam (works wonders,)Change fuel filter and, Check your tire pressure.

2000 Grand Marquis

Digital Designs 9512

Rockford T2000bd1

if ur gonna replace 1 sensor u may as well change the others to that way you know u got good 1s and it wont send bad codes to the computer. and with it bein a 99 u mite need a propane torch to heat the pipe up so the sensor will come out cus some times them bitches r hell to git out

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

Do NOT solder the wire either it can add resistance if you dont do it 100% perfect and thatll throw a code too. but yeah if your o2 sensor is messed up your probably running real rich

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

What stephen staid...if you HAVE to extend wires they have wire extensions you can order. I wouldnt suggest aftermarket sensors, depending on the vehicle they are known to have code problems and sometimes not last very long. Using a heat gun or something of the likes is nice to help break the sensor loose, most of the time they are PITA to get out. I always put anti sieze on them.

Anti seize is a good idea but DO NOT DO NOT DO FUCKING NOT!!!!! GET ANY ON THE SENSOR ITSELF! If you do that brand-new sensor will NEVER work right and you get to buy another one. Please don't ask how I figured that out...

While you're at it do a full tuneup: Plugs, wires, air and fuel filter, if you haven't changed oil lately that can affect mileage too. I bet that o2 sensor is doing a big chunk of your damage though, like steph3n1 said if that o2 goes you will run PIG rich.

Too many projects, too little time...

Archived