Bboytaktix's 2011 Subaru STI Modest SQ build

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

• 5 months later...

Alright well some updates:

My JBL GTO1004 developed a short so....went with something else which, so far, I am liking better!

IMG_20140918_200139_zpse2843c0f.jpg
IMG_20140918_200201_zpseeea7afc.jpg
IMG_20140918_200212_zpsb6a3d951.jpg
IMG_20140918_200327_zps75271066.jpg
IMG_20140918_200335_zpsa2437cd7.jpg
IMG_20140918_200342_zpsecadadf2.jpg
Sound system "switcheroo" involved going from sealed to ported with the W10GTI (highly suggest running these ported-they do amazing) and replacing the shorted JBL for the pioneer, as well as a new, more compact amp rack design. Here are a few pics;
step 1 was to remove the damaged 4-channel amp and current amp rack. My goal was to make things more compact and shed a little weight;
IMG_20140920_183938_zps0457b34a.jpg
So this new amp was a little less than half the size of my JBL amp. And on top of that it is a class D amp which means won't get super hot like the JBL did. Perfect for me!
IMG_20140920_114734_zpsab9cb878.jpg
IMG_20140920_114753_zpsb3696269.jpg
Being the Engineer that I am, I made a Solidworks CAD drawing of the box I was to build to ensure proper volume and port tuning as well as a perfect angle to match the seat backs, etc;
IMG_20140919_170835_zpsf554db7d.jpg
The box began to take shape :D here is a shot before I put the top on to give an idea of how the space inside was used. Port length exactly 12 inches with flares, 3 inch port and the box itself approx. 1.8 ft?3 which gives me a tuning frequency of approx. 28.3-28.5 ish Hz...perfect for a proper mix of SQ and SPL;
IMG_20140920_204730_zps23f7024a.jpg
The precision port used was perfect and I suggest it to anyone looking to do an aero port...nothing but quality and detailed explanations on calculating port length for specific tuning was provided too!
IMG_20140920_204748_zps99ec67e3.jpg
IMG_20140921_102103_zps078dac8e.jpg
Yesterday I only had enough carpet to do the sides, which was ideal because I wanted to install the port and the terminal cup yesterday and ideally over the carpet to give a proper finished look. Also, all interior joints sealed after assembly using PL premium to ensure a proper seal throughout. Double baffle used for the front wall for a bit of extra strength. Here is what I got finished yesterday;
IMG_20140921_102052_zps47032c9f.jpg
IMG_20140921_102121_zpsfd599e66.jpg
Today I picked up the carpet I needed and finished wrapping the box. This was good because I gave the box time for the glue and all sealant to dry before blasting the sub. I must say it looks good, very happy with how it came out :D
IMG_20140921_130550_zps9fe26fa7.jpg
IMG_20140921_130607_zpsf58e21c7.jpg
Yes I knolw the terminal cup is a little beaten up but I ended up re-using the one from my sealed box since I didn't have another. I made sure it was well sealed with PL premium since they are known to leak if not installed well.
then, as I went to mount the sub, I noticed one of the tinsel leads on the inside was broken off! I was retty annoyed. Luckily, my roommate had a soldering kit (I leave mine up north where I was yesterday for most of the build) and I was able to solder it back on. Checked the impedance across that coil and checked out :D So who knows how long it has been like that? Anyways, I really hope it stays attached but seemed okay during testing.
After soldering was done I mointed the sub...was a tight fit so had to cut the carpet on the inside diameter to squeeze it in. Looks great though I think!
IMG_20140921_135709_zps6e3b4d91.jpg
IMG_20140921_135714_zpsc62e7ba1.jpg

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

Decided on a more compact design for the amp rack, with the goal of recouping more floor space in the trunk. Here is the design I went with. Pretty happy with it, just need to do a proper cover for the amps. Don't seem to have a pic of just the rack but here is the final product (without the amp rack cover) in the trunk;

IMG_20140921_144028_zps38705d27.jpg

IMG_20140921_144033_zpse7f7211d.jpg

Mounted distribution block (with fuses) on the back of the rack, save more space;

IMG_20140920_183950_zps018ebc50.jpg

I am happy to have more floor space in the trunk, and anxious to get time to work on a nice cover for the amps. Will look much better after that is done and all the wiring is covered up.

Went out to test the system after everything was hooked up and all I can say is WOW! The 4channel amp is really easy to set up, very nice and precise sound coming to all four of my speakers...quite impressed for a class D amp and for that size.

Now onto the sub. HOLY CRAP can this thing now pound! I don't know if it was the sealed enclosure or maybe the tinsel lead was off that coil for longer than I thought, but it it INSANELY loud while remaining precise!

I had to dial down the gain on my sub amp because it was just too much bass! Found some perfect demo songs for when I show off the new setup to the local subie guys!

The speakers seem to keep up perfectly with the now massive sound of the sub. bass is so authoritative and when I crank it, it EASILY shakes my side and rearview mirrors. Only thing I have to do is remove the rear deck and give it some good sound deadening treatment (25% coverage plus some foam between the metal to give it a tight seal and no more rattle)

Hope you guys enjoy the few pictures I remembered to take. I am pretty sure that this set-up will stay for a while...long as everything keeps working! let's hope!

I have the same 4-ch. Pioneer Amp. When you were setting your gains, or when you have been listening, has the amp cut out on you? there is a feature included that causes mine to cut out:

"Protective function included to prevent malfunction of the unit and/or speakers due to excessive output, improper use or improper connection.

When outputting high volume sound etc., this function cuts off the output for a few seconds as a normal function, but output is restored when the volume of the head unit is turned down.

A cut in sound output may indicate impro- per setting of the gain control. To ensure continuous sound output with the head unit at a high volume, set amplifier gain control to a level appropriate for the preout maximum output level of the head unit, so that volume can remain unchanged and to control excess output. "

This feature has drove me fvcking insane. I set my head unit and gains to no distortion with a DD-1, yet my amp still cuts out until i dial way back on the gain

2000 Jeep Cherokee

15" Alpine Type R box build coming soon!

Thank you very much sir! It will be cleaner once all that amp wiring is hidden under a nice clean amp rack cover :D also need to find a way to fasten down the rack and sub box as I sometimes drive a bit aggressive or do autocross. my head unit is a pioneer which gives 2v preamp, and so for this amp, the instructions said that for 2v pre amp units to set it in the "normal 2v" position that is marked on the gain setting (or whatever it is called). So I did that and so far I have not had the amp cut out on me at all. It has been playing crystal clear and gets loud enough to keep up with the sub even at higher volumes. I've had it up to about 27/40 of my head unit volume, not for too long because its just too loud lol.

What are you running for power? I have no alternator upgrade but running a kinetic khc 1400 under my hood and 0-gauge all the way to the trunk distribution block then 4-gauge to the amp. You sure it is getting enough power? Just brainstorming here and hoping to help you out. When you adjusted yours, did you put it higher than the recommended position in the manual for your stereo's output voltage? The amp may be detecting that which could cause it to cut out or wtv.

Canada FTW!

Nice little build you got there! In a sexy car too (STI is my dream CAR too).

While reading through your thread I noticed you are having issues with your gains. Try to match the voltage on the gain to the voltage on your radio's RCA pre-outs.

So for 2V preout radio, try to aim for the 2V mark on the gains of your amps. If you are at "3/4" you could be experiencing mad clipping depending on the preout voltage. Also, never use Loudness...EVER! On pioneer units, max the sub output to +6 to get your full preout voltage. Just trying to help!

Cheers!

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

Canada FTW!

Nice little build you got there! In a sexy car too (STI is my dream CAR too).

While reading through your thread I noticed you are having issues with your gains. Try to match the voltage on the gain to the voltage on your radio's RCA pre-outs.

So for 2V preout radio, try to aim for the 2V mark on the gains of your amps. If you are at "3/4" you could be experiencing mad clipping depending on the preout voltage. Also, never use Loudness...EVER! On pioneer units, max the sub output to +6 to get your full preout voltage. Just trying to help!

Cheers!

Hey, thanks! I LOVE this car...it is a ton of fun, handles amazing and is great in the snow (I drive up north a lot in the winter for snowboarding/snowmobiling). hopefully stage two next summer but we will see...I also want a new motorcycle as I have seemed to max out the abilities of my current bike :P

As for gains, the setting the new pioneer 4ch amp is simple, it already is marked for the 2V preout radios (my pioneer is 2v preouts) on the gain knob so was easy to tune the gain. The 'issues' i had earlier in the thread were radio-related, I had to put the sub output to the highest level on the pioneer unit (like you mentioned). Also I am aware to not use the loudness, haven't used it in years :P and of course bass boost is at zero.

Now, the Clarion DPX11551 is a bit weird. It has both an 'input voltage' switch as well as the 'Gain' knob. The 'Input voltage' switch has three options;

0.2-0.6V input

0.6-2V input

2V-8V input

and then after setting this switch, you would turn the gain knob accordingly. I currently have it set to the middle (0.6V-2V) which means that technically, gain knob should be turned all the way up to be in the 2V position. I found that to be too much bass, which is why it is around 3/4 of the way up. Not sure if it would be better to put it all the way up to the 2V position then scale it down at the head unit but I'm thinking it comes out to the same thing (or at least similar results)

thanks for the consideration, I appreciate the help!

• 2 weeks later...

So small but exciting (for me) update:

Finally bit the bullet and ordered an SMD DD-1 to get my gains set up correctly and ensure no distortion/clipping and get the most out of my setup. Should arrive in a week or so and I'll get my system all tuned.

On another note, my front speakers sometimes cut out, mostly the right side component. It's weird. Did some tests and I assumed it was the crossover going bad, but then my driver side cut out music and then I received a phone call and sound was coming through just not music. I then thought that maybe it was my iPod connection to the ipod cord (my iPod I keep in there is about 10 years old and still kicking). I don't really want to have to buy new front components because I know if I do I'll want something a bit better that would cost me between $200-300ish. The speakers worked great this morning while driving from the Subaru dealer to work. Still trying to diagnose issue. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I love the tweeters in this component set, I know the midbass are pretty weak but I looked into new components and have had a ton of trouble deciding what I would want that would outperform these JBL's and under $250ish shipped to Canada.

Archived