Wire/Fuse Guide

Guest SyKo13

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

Fuse for wire size. Not ur amp or battery or alternator or any of that. The fuse u add to ur power wire is there to protect ur wire from overheating/melting/burning ur car down. So as the first page here says, 1/0 can carry 350amps, so because if that limit and to be safe, the maximum fuse u should use is 325A. But 300A fuses on 1/0 is common also. 

Then again, fusing smaller like u did at 120-150A on 1/0 isnt adding danger or anything, kind of just limiting urself for no reason. With a 120A fuse, u couldve just used 4awg instead of 1/0 lol saved some money. By putting that small fuse on 1/0 ur not utilizing the full potential of the 1/0 wire. Youre cutting its potential by half. 

Awesome!  Exactly what I needed to know!

The only reason I went with 150 and 120 is because that is what the amp manufacturers recommended in the instructions.  So I will up that to 300's and let the amp fuses do their job but keep the supply fused to 300.

Just now, audiofanaticz said:

meh..

Its kind of misleading, because a lot of wires current handling is due to its length, which is not mentioned at all.

the OP mentions 20 foot runs, but I thought it was a good start. I've never seen this thread before being here 6 years, it could have saved me some headache. eh.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

I just assumed it was for OFC. I'm sure we could find a manufacturers table if we google it.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Car audio wire is oversized so I wonder if the original post was for standard size or not?

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Ok, didnt see the 20foot thing I just ran down the list.

Even still I dont feel a guide like this works well, because regardless of the type and say its for ofc only which Im sure it is, you are assuming that every cable is the same due to its rating.

When you look at companies like stinger that follow the awg standard their 1/0 is going to be smaller than say RF or Kickers 1/0 which is oversized.

Then you have cheap brand companies like db link, bullz, and whatever else is out there where their 1/0 is the size of 8awg with 1/0 casing.

As for fuse recomendations I feel those are even off. 325max fuse on 1/0, IMO 300amp fuse is pushing it.

If I was not able to measure the current load being passed through the wire full tilt I would use a 250amp fuse.

If I measured the current load I would fuse per that load.

I like to fuse the safe way, and not what the wire is rated at.

Makes sense. You changed my mind. I get what you're saying now, and although it might be a rough starting off point, there's too many variables to make this an accurate guide.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived