What to do about my daily truck.

I am stuck on this and need some opinions on this one guys.

I bought a 1999 s10 to be my everyday driver, and to keep the magnum as my pure show car. I travel 120 miles round trip for work, in and out of NYC, so the magnum is not the right car to be doing that in.

I bought the truck for $5k, was in great shape. Only had 73k on it, only thing I knew that was wrong was it need tie rod ends. No biggie, $250.

2 weeks after I bought the truck, I noticed a tapping sound. I checked the oil, it look like it needed to be changed, so I changed it, went away. Few days after that it made a turn for the worse. I thought it was maybe the lifters, turned out to be 2 of the wrist pins... So $2,500 later for a brand new motor, 3 year warranty.... We did heads, and cam. Should be me some where around 240-250hp, nothing to crazy cause I need this to be a dependable daily driver.

Now a month after (3 days ago) my air bag lights come on, turns out its two sensors, replaced them $220.

As I pull out of the shop, I hear a rubbing noise, slow down, hear bang bang BANG! as I stop. Rolled it back into the shops parking lot, let it sit there over the weekend.

My guys at the shop calls me today, and tell me the hole rear axle need to be rebuilt, all but 1 barring is bad, and the gears in the diff are screwed up pretty bad. Told me $750.

I am now into this truck $8,700. KBB on it is about $5k. I might get $6k for it because of the new motor and all the new parts...

No my question is... Would you guys keep it since most of the stuff in the truck is new, and hope I run into nothing else big?

Or cut my loses and sell it for what I can sell it for, and pick up another car and possibly go through this all again.

I can't afford to dump hundreds of dollars into this thing every couple weeks. My mechanic says after this the truck should be just about bullet proof, and I should get another 100k out of it with no major problems, but then again, he said that when we dropped the new motor in.

Thank for your time guys.

Dodge Magnum with custom 300c front end, laid out on air bags

*4) 12" Cadence Daytona walled

*1) AudioQue 20k

*270a DC Power Alt (Dual coming soon)

i say keep it, if its gonna have more problems in the future for the buyer then its good for you, you wont have to waste any more money but say IT DOES run perfect then you loose not only the money on the parts you bought already but also what ever u spend on the next car that your not sure about yet.

you went this far already IMO stick with it :drinks:

i say keep it, if its gonna have more problems in the future for the buyer then its good for you, you wont have to waste any more money but say IT DOES run perfect then you loose not only the money on the parts you bought already but also what ever u spend on the next car that your not sure about yet.

you went this far already IMO stick with it :drinks:

Gonna agree with beatbox, with every used car you have to be ready to fix some stuff. No point in losing $2k when you could just drive it now..it should be fine as long as the tranny is good

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Well here is the thing with the tranny, it has like 8 months left on a warranty from the previous owner. But obviously the guy beat the piss out of this truck. So what did he do to the truck before I got it.

I feel the same way about the truck, just about everything is new. Knowing is better then not knowing. My parents on the other hand call it the devil and tell me to burn it, haha.

Edited by Bigg Boy

Dodge Magnum with custom 300c front end, laid out on air bags

*4) 12" Cadence Daytona walled

*1) AudioQue 20k

*270a DC Power Alt (Dual coming soon)

i say keep it ur only going to loose money by selling it and spend even more money by buying a better car and who knows what going to be wrong with the next car at least ur familiar with whats going on with this truck

Edited by bassHZ

cowboys_logo.gif