Sonic Electronix

How does someone define how a sub sounds musically. Bass is Bass to me and when some says does it sound good on music I'm confused. If you build the proper enclosure then should it not sound good. For instance my 15 is in a 5cbft box and gets low and sounds good to me. But if I put it in a smaller box or bigger box won't it sound like shit and that wouldn't be the subs fault. If I'm incorrect please correct and explain.

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

How does someone define how a sub sounds musically. Bass is Bass to me and when some says does it sound good on music I'm confused. If you build the proper enclosure then should it not sound good. For instance my 15 is in a 5cbft box and gets low and sounds good to me. But if I put it in a smaller box or bigger box won't it sound like shit and that wouldn't be the subs fault. If I'm incorrect please correct and explain.

Lets go to an extreme end of the scale and say you play music in an Alan Dante's Volvo, imagine what it will sound like (obviously this isn't with it right up, and ignore the fact that there aren't mids/highs). It will be extremely peaky and sound like ass in general, but it's kinda a subjective scale. I'd say a proper musical subwoofer will play extremely flat, low, be very accurate etc. Also if you are really picky you wouldn't allow it to be super loud either.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

umm... well, some subs do sound better than others. just like component speakers dont all sound the same. like an IDQ will sound a lot better than my XLs. and i know that because i have owned IDQs lol.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

30Hz? my midbass play to 30Hz...a real SQ sub will play down to 10Hz

Yes, flat from 30-65 is somewhat poor. But lets be fair, I don't think that he built it for awesome flat response and accuracy at 125db or so. Also a car is a shit place to bother with SQ, that's what a listening room is for ;)

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

Thats cool, But, I don't have an SQ setup... I do 158.5@30hz, and 160.2@47-53hz... I haven't been in the scene for a while (SQ), but when I was, my buddy won world finals in 95, and was the first person ever to score a perfect 40 in the RTA, which sounded like complete shit musically... 10hz? why would you want to play that low? the human ear can only pick up 20-20khz, I thought... The OP was just asking what people meant, so I gave him my opinion on what they meant...

Yes, flat from 30-65 is somewhat poor. But lets be fair, I don't think that he built it for awesome flat response and accuracy at 125db or so. Also a car is a shit place to bother with SQ, that's what a listening room is for ;)

I didn't realize that was that bad... No, I didn't build it to be an SQ machine for sure... Lol... Agreed on the no place for SQ in a car... Lol...

Well for a car that goes that loud it's probably pretty damn good, and you could also EQ it so that it is flat from 15hz up but only does whatever you meter at 15hz. But where is the fun in that? haha

10hz material is found in pipe organ music and similar stuff, harmonics or whatever of string instruments and stuff. And of course in movies, but you don't really worry about that in a car, lol. Which is why comparing what you get from your car to something you can get from a IB or tapped horn in a properly built HT room is kinda stupid ;)

I don't care what u set the eq or the amp I guess what I'm sayin I want to buy the FI btl n2 18 and maybe the tsns 18 and I've seen where say it gets loud but not good SQ. And in my opinion anything after 140 on music is just fukkin making my head spin from bass. And I enjoy that.but to say its not musical I just don't get it.

SONY XAV-701HD

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

Most people can't tell the difference in SQ.

Plus, if your looking for those type of subs, your not worried about blending in with your front stage well.

Or playing perfectly flat.

People always say they are surprised by the SQ of a high powered daily sub. Which really surprises me.

They all act like its going to sound terrible.

Yeah I agree I'm going to pay 400 or 500 for a sub and its going to sound like an elephant farting.

SONY XAV-701HD

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

Sadly, the reality is that allthough sound, particularly quality of sound is truly subjective, it is in fact going to be based on what the best thing you have heard is. So if you have only heard Skull Candy ear buds on an iPod, or your buddies BTL, you have nothing to compare to. This is where a nice brick and mortor shop is nice to have around to audition high end sound. Even better is to get into some high end home audio where good music can be demonstrated properly. Best of all, go to a live concert, not a rock concert, but something small and live.

Because woofers are meant to be more than just hair tricks, they should contribute to the overall sound reproduction. Second and third harmonics can be felt in the body, even if the mic doesn't show it to mean much.

Sorry, End Rant.

Edited by Reilly

Clovis Custom Audio 559-392-3600

96 Silverado Single Cab

2-DD9515's Cut-through

1-DDSE Amp

Stock electrical and a couple small stingers, LOL