Do I need upgraded electrical?

UnderLok said it all. with a 145a alt, really 1200w isnt a huge deal. But running it at .5 ohms means itll draw more current, and approach your current electrical systems limits. So either a) Just be careful and dont push it too hard, ie:. dont run full tilt for long peroids of time maybe 1 min max. or b ) which is the better option, add a second battery, just to be safe and you should be pretty good assuming the amp can handle it.

as far as a second battery goes there are plenty of topics discussing this just search. some brands include optima, xspower, kinetik just to name a couple. there is quite a few in the for sale section.

as far as .5 ohm goes. yes you can do it simply by hooking it up and you may be ok, but it really isnt reccomended for beginners. You really need to be able to keep an eye on your voltage, and as I said a second battery is def a very good idea. As far as voltage monitoring, a cheap digital multimeter will work if you want to check while your parked or w.e, but stinger make really good voltage meters to mount in your car, and their really easy to hook up. Allows you to keep an eye on your voltage while bumpin around town.

Your best bet, simply to make sure your dont break anything is to go with option b ) and grab a voltmeter. some might say it isnt absolutely neccessary, but its better than smoking your amp.

I really don't wNt to add a battery unless I have to! Would this be ok..... Change my battery to xs 3400 and upgrade my alt and big3

I really don't wNt to add a battery unless I have to! Would this be ok..... Change my battery to xs 3400 and upgrade my alt and big3

if your going to go through the trouble of the upgrading an alt, adding a second bat would be cake, CAKE compared to changing ur alt. Big 3 is def reccomeneded and will always help. Imo adding a second bat is much easier than doing the big 3 even.

you goign to do w/e u want in the end, but this is why it isnt reccomended for newbs. no offense, but if you want your equipment to last, you gotta do ur research and take the neccessary steps. the fact that you think getting a new alt and big 3 is easier than just putting a bat in the back is almost laughable. replacing your starting bat with a d3400 might get the job done, but why not just throw in the back and have two bats....

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Get a XS3400

Go to ebay > search "volt meter" I found one the other day for $4 shipped.

I think you should be fine, but like everyone else says, watch the voltage. Also, don't immediately crank the volume ever. If you're voltage is cool, the next problem I see Is you trying to crank from 0/30 to 30/30 in 1 second, which could damage your amp (because of the 0.5 load). You don't have to go too slow, but just make sure the amp has time to adjust to the reactive load of the woofer. Most of the time your load will raise 2x, 3x, even 4x higher than what you have it wired too, which would put you in the clear.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

if your going to go through the trouble of the upgrading an alt, adding a second bat would be cake, CAKE compared to changing ur alt. Big 3 is def reccomeneded and will always help. Imo adding a second bat is much easier than doing the big 3 even.

you goign to do w/e u want in the end, but this is why it isnt reccomended for newbs. no offense, but if you want your equipment to last, you gotta do ur research and take the neccessary steps. the fact that you think getting a new alt and big 3 is easier than just putting a bat in the back is almost laughable. replacing your starting bat with a d3400 might get the job done, but why not just throw in the back and have two bats....

So your saying it's easier to just add a second battery for the amp and I wouldn't have to do alt, and big 3 or change my stock battery?

no im saying if youre prepared to do the big 3 or upgrade your alt, then whats the big deal about simply adding another bat in the back, it seems like you;re trying to cut corners which isnt smart when running an amp below its rated ohm load.

upgrading your alt: not necessary really, but if you got money to burn then why not

the big 3: always halps, def do it.

upgrading your starting bat: recommended, its better to have two sealed agm bats then mixing a reg lead-acid with an agm one, but alot of ppl do it so, again if you got money to burn why not

adding a second bat: for 1200w normally you would be ok w/o one. running at .5 imo its a must. anything too much above 1200w ie:. 1500w a second bat is a must under any circumstance. that is of course assuming you want to keep ur amp and other equipment and sometimes your car running well.

i cant draw it out cleaner for you. get a bat at the least or roll the dice on your equip.

gl m8

edit im tired excuse my spelling :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

x2^^^ do what P4killer is saying. Big3, upgraded front bat, and add a second bat by the amp, stock alt.. Thats gonna be best bet unless you want to upgrade your alt. anyway, but the alt. isn't neccesary, and make sure you use 1/0 runs to the back bat., and the largest gauge the amp will accept. Don't cut corners running this amp at .5 ohms or you'll burn it up quicker then you can say (OH SHIT)

Alpine 9886

Rockford mids and highs

MBQUART 4.125

2 xfl 15's

2 TRX2000.1's

Optima up front,Knetic 2400 in back

Sundown doesnt recommend it, and it does void warranty. Plus if you have to ask you probably shouldnt be doing it. Your willing to drop some money to get a few new battery's, cable's, and an alternator. Cut the corner and just X out that amp. go for something that can make your power at a 2 ohm load maybe and you can ease up a little on the electrical. and more than likely add some life to your equipment. those subs are rated at what.. 600 (no doubt they can take more). Maybe look into an amp that can make its power at a 2 ohm load. i know they arent much cheaper but just another route. another option is to see about getting some dual 1 or dual 4 subs and then you can go safely at 1 ohm.

but hey, if you do blow it, db-r can for sure fix it. lol.

SMDSIG3.png

If money was no object, you should do all of them.

For 1200w you could just add a second bat, and do the big 3 and you should be good.

upgrading the starting batt and upgrading your alt is not necessary for just 1200w but again if you want to spend the money it wont hurt.

as far as battery choices like i said kinetik, xs power, deka, optima, oddessy just RESEARCH

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

You should probably check to see which alternator you actually have. If you have the 105, you may want to look at another alternator.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Archived