Sonic Electronix

wtf are you guys smoking???? the gain on a amp is NOT a volume knob. the gain is used to match the voltage rms that is going through the rca cables into the amp. if your amp is rated at 1000 rms and your sub is rated at 1000 rms you cant set the gain all the way up thinking "well if its up all the way that means im getting 1000 watts out of the amp" that is NOT AT ALL how amps work. if you dont know then dont respond and have someone else fuck up their system.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

well its 750 at one ohm to one sub. when you have 2 subs its really 375 to each. so... turn the gain all the way up, and back it off like a 16th of a turn to take out the extra 75 watts. or i have a hifonics HFI1000 thats rated 500rms so its only 250 to each sub in theory... perfect for a 300 watt sub. so your either going to be 75 watts over of 50 watts under... all in theory of course bc you dont no theer "actual" wattage.

x2 to this

definitely don't do this. use a dmm.

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

a dmm will half-ass what you want to set your gains. like i said, i tested the same guide that was posted here and it is not close to making a clean signal at all. the only perfect way to set your gains is to get an oscope but if you cant afford one, a dmm will get you buy but id say turn the gain back maybe like a little less than 1/8 of a inch for safe measure.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

to answer you in my opinion i would stick with 12s and go with the DC lvl 2s those look like sweet subs. and if you have rear deck speakers, you could move them into rear doors or something and put a grill over the holes as a "passage way for bass" from the trunk into the car.. ive seen it done and it looked nice.

Edited by JaM Customs aka mprete

i believe that what you just said can apply to you as well sir. setting a amp like a volume knob is not how it works so i did tell him how to do it correctly. im sorry i got your panties in a bunch.

op, you can get around with the dmm, just go to someplace like harbor freight, lowes, home depot, or any hardware store like that and get a DMM for like $20. it will do a pretty decent job for you but like i said, set the gains close to the voltage that is on the chart that was previously posted and then turn it back a small amount from that to be safe because amps are not all the same and clip at the ratings that are on the chart, trust me, i know.

(let the second round of bashing begin)

sorry kickass just having a bad day. thanks for clearing that up with the dmm and i guess i didnt mean the "gain" cuz some amps are different and have different terms and stuff but the bass boost... or whatever its called. if they dont like to be over powered then turn the boost down and make sure your lo and hi pass filters are adjusted appropriatly to what your sub likes. again kickass my bad i deleted that whole thing like 10 seconds after i posted it cuz i felt like an ass hole. thanks for the input, and being the bigger man.. respect.

good point jam, if your amp has a bass boost turn that all the way off. its the smartest thing to do for your amps. bass boost=clipping=burnt coils. like i said i toasted every damn sub i have owned and its sucks and gets expensive.

And jam its no big deal. i always stand my ground. its just the kind of guy i am.