Sonic Electronix

Underpowering...But Clipping?

Ohhh...ok....so as long as the light isnt on solid then its more than likely a false read? mine flickers with little breaks in the blinks during long bass notes. but the punchy notes just blink like once or twice fast and thats it

its not a false read at all. ive personally found that kick bass notes clip my setup MUCH earlier than constant notes.

lmao...well then what do i do...its either i run it the way i had it with the blinking and be bustin my eardrums(the shit) or turn everything down to avoid the blinking..

::::::STREETZ::::::

NEW BUILD COMING S☺☺N!!!

Xbox 360 Gamertag: STREETZxDBs

techforce_teamdbs.gif

Team DBs - 06' Ford Fusion - Kentucky

lmao...well then what do i do...its either i run it the way i had it with the blinking and be bustin my eardrums(the shit) or turn everything down to avoid the blinking..

do what we said. i dont know how else to put it.

1) Turn everything to 0 on your headunit. If you turn up bass at the HU, that can cause clipping before the signal ever reaches the amp.

2) Ideally, you'd use a test tone to set your gains. I've always used Decaf's tone right off his page HERE. It used to be a 45hz tone at -6, now it's that 50hz tone at -3dB. Download it, burn it to a CD and put it on repeat.

3) Turn your volume knob on your HU up as far as you'll normally put it. Ideally, less than max. I usually go to about 85-90% of max. My HU goes to 40, I only ever go up to 35.

4) Now turn up the gain on your amp until the light on the knob indicates clipping. Turn it down a bit from there.

5) You have now set your gains (kinda) without using an o-scope. Enjoy your loud, clip-free bass.

Do that ^^^^^

Loud, clean bass.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

if you want your gains set the best possible, find someone on this list in your area, with an o-scope and pm them to see if they will meet up with you. there are a lot of people on here who have o-scopes, and would more than likely be willing to meet up with you for a small fee, maybe even free. whatever you do just do it right, and NO CLIPPING ALLOWED

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

Yea...ill do that...im just gonna take a wild guess and say that my subs being hot in the center and warm on the cone isnt a good thing...but yes...ima do that tomorrow after work

::::::STREETZ::::::

NEW BUILD COMING S☺☺N!!!

Xbox 360 Gamertag: STREETZxDBs

techforce_teamdbs.gif

Team DBs - 06' Ford Fusion - Kentucky

Yea...ill do that...im just gonna take a wild guess and say that my subs being hot in the center and warm on the cone isnt a good thing...but yes...ima do that tomorrow after work

Bro subs heat up normally anyways :rofl: But yeah clipping from what I understand can cause the subwoofer to heat up WAY faster. I'm running the AQ 1200D to just one Level 4 15 and it gets a bit warm, but I watch the clipping light like a hawk. I did what Kranny did and set the gain so that half way is good for bass and I can turn it up the rest of the way on songs that don't clip.

if you want your gains set the best possible, find someone on this list in your area, with an o-scope and pm them to see if they will meet up with you. there are a lot of people on here who have o-scopes, and would more than likely be willing to meet up with you for a small fee, maybe even free. whatever you do just do it right, and NO CLIPPING ALLOWED

why do you think that even the most minuscule amount of clipping is dangerous? i let that little light blink quite often and i have yet to smell ANY coil whatsoever. i have beat on my woofers for a good half hour with that light blinking a tad and they were perfectly fine.

you keep letting them get hot like that and you wont have woofers for much longer.

soft clipping should be fine. the clipping light should show up on the amp even when it is being fed a clipped signal from the HU. Turn you gain all the way down and crank your HU up until you get a pretty solid clip light. Back your HU down a couple numbers and there is your HU max. Now turn you HU to the new max and turn your gain up till you get a soft clip light. Bam done.

I could be wrong about the clip light reading a clipped input signal though.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

chick in your avatar is fuggin rad

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Archived