Sonic Electronix

Ed Explains Trippi's Hummer

Good day SMDers,

I want to address a bit of the controversy over Trippi's Hummer.

First about the woofer swap, then about metering.

I have to say that I have the utmost respect to Mr. Meade and his branding. T3 considers them a marketing partner as we are a partner on this sight.

I understand a lot of people have brand favoritism, and for many reasons. There are fans of many types of woofers.

I also understand that Trippi's Hummer build had become a staple on this forum and attracted many fans itself.

What people may not know is that Trippi and I have become good friends, I also spent almost all of last summer with the Hummer, working on it day and night. So as far as growing attached to a vehicle, the Hummer feels like a piece of me. The only other people that can say this about the Hummer is Trippi, Ric and the rest of Pulse's team.

Also, Trippi and I met last year because he wanted me to build an enclosure for him. At that time, I was one of the only persons on this forum that took Trippi seriously and was nice and professional to him.

When we had our first meeting, we discussed the box and I mentioned that it would be sweet to get some TSNS in there. Trippi mentioned that he actually wanted them and wanted to stitch the T3 mascot "Ouch Man" onto his dash and head rests.

Unfortunately we were not producing the woofers at that time and Trippi ended up getting another amazing big woofer, the SMD.

I took on more than I could chew with the first Hummer build but even though I work for T3, I highlighted and promoted the SMDs on my youtube and facebook and here and other forums. Never had any negatives to say, thought it was a cool build to do.

Behind the scenes, Trippi and I would just mention T3 subs once in a while, he said he's waiting for the T3 "Machine" to come out.

Once I told Trippi that the "Machine" was too far away for development. I told him I am building TSNS and we can put them in there.

After knowing Trippi for 10 months or so, we have become good friends, and Trippi is very friend and family oriented. I've met his family and they came by my shop.

After I moved to GA for T3, and Pulse started the Hummer wall build, Trippi would keep in contact and show genuine concern on my success with the company. He wanted me to do well.

When the time was right, we knew he would run my woofers in a heart beat. Afterall,

when you have a friend, and teammate that actually builds woofers, then why not.

The timing just fit right for an SBN showing. The Hummer was able to stop in Georgia on the way, also we need more exposure in the Florida market, so Trippi stepped up to help out his buddy's Florida Market struggling company and run a good woofer built by his buddy's own 2 hands.

There has never been anything here as a brand Vs. Brand thing. Woofers are of a similar level of performance and price.

Its more about getting Trippi what he wanted and 2 guys scratching eachother's back. We have done a lot for eachother. Trippi being a good guy, he has done more for me it seems.

So thank you to all that understand and dont cry over some dude changing woofers in his car.

Not sure if Kicker or Selenium lovers feel the same way, but those tweeters were taken out by Ric of Pulse so go attack him now please.

To clarify a facebook post made by my associate. There was some 4am frustrations and misunderstandings. And a quick apology was made to the parties at hand.

A mention of a 5dB gain was made. That was because of the Hummer doing barely a 152 when it arrived to us. The woofer swap yielded a 153.5. Both tests were at only 1000w per woofer. That was because of an RCA and tow truck rattling wires issue and a bit of lower tuning due to safety.

By the time it left us, it was over 157s, still with only 5 woofers working which would turn out to be wiring to the amp and was resolved at the show.

SPL comparisons were made at lower tuning levels but have not been accurately made at higher power levels.

I will say that the full power potential of the Hummer has not been unleashed because of some power wire upgrades not completed yet.

I know it will be asked, but I will not speculate on any comparisons. We all have opinions. The fact of the matter is that both woofers to be in the hummer are considered to be the biggest and baddest high end woofers there can be. So from here on out it comes down to opinions. And the opinions of Ric and Trippi are the only ones I would listen to.

Below I will explain some metering.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

There has always been talk about SPL in Trippi's Hummer.

The fact remains that it is setup to sound great and demo.

The current wall features a port on top. Metering is preferred to be in the kick panel for this reason.

It is an SPL fact that SPL measurements are always higher in a wall when the sensor is placed at the furthest surface away from the port.

When people stand around the truck, their bodies are closer to the bottom so this allows them to feel it more.

Also,

This is a flat wall that plays down to 20 something hz. And plays peaks in the mid 30 hz range.

In a cabin area that is supposed to support 55+ hz.

Therefore, it is a demo truck, not legal SPL measurement truck.

Also, I completed a quick test on amp power.

Any time there has been numbers from this wall, it has been on low power. There is a large amount of voltage drop to the amps, there is added heat with the amps being so close, and there is box rise.

This means that there is only about 2000w or less to each woofer.

Pulse has been planning upgrades from the beginning and are just not finished with his surprises.

There was a post made about a 153 done at the show. Keep in mind a few things, this was only what it did in that instance, not what it can do. That was after 6 hours of play in the hot sun. The amps were sitting at 155 degrees and actually the 4channel amps would smoke a bit with the heat.

A non optimal song was queued up and used. So this showing was taken out of context.

I have a video here showing 5 woofers playing with 2000w each, on a good song at 35hz.

Please also note, this was a few hours after building the new woofers.

The Hummer also had done a 156.5 the previous weekend and a 157 at another show a couple months ago. All of this done on similar power per woofer. Good results for all of it.

So just because you see a certain amount of equipment in a car, and have seen another guy on youtube do a certain number, does not mean that it "should" do that number.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

Goes without saying that truck is amazing with either sub. :clapping:

The most true statement I've seen

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

I also want to thank Ric Thorton and the Pulse guys for what they have done.

They did a great install here and Ric even flew to florida to support the Hummer and get it running up to full show off condition.

Its not easy to do an install this big, and he even made it look great while doing it.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

My old Build Log

5 time dB Drag Finalist

I have been a fan of this build but unlike some people you have had negative comments from I have never questioned reasons for any changes made I like all that has been done its like the vehicle I wished I could own I like what you and pulse have done with it and one of my teammates is running the tsns subs and I like how they sound good luck with the future upgrades and changes I will be watching and enjoying it all :good:

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

Well thank you for clearing up any controversy, I kept out of all the talk that went on, mainly cause I plan to support T3 whenever I can afford my woofers and also since its trippi's hummer, he can do what he likes, all parties did great job, congrats for all the hard work that has been put into it and will be put into it in the future

Welcome to the florida weather! haha awesome hummer no matter what!

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang V6

Exterior: Blacked Out Taillights, Turn Signals, Side Markers-Black 18x8 Enkei ls5-6000k HID's

Interior: Blue LED Strips with Module for Music-Hardwired Beltronics RX65 with Blue LED and remote button

Sub: 2 10 inch custom subs

Amp: Hifonics BRz 2600

Wire: Knu 0 gauge

Headunit: Kenwood kiv-bt901

Damplifier: Fatmat Rattletrap

Electrical: Stock Alt/Stock Battery/Big 3

cool story bro..... i dont give a damn what subs he runs the out side is sick as hell. he could run 8 different subs and still be teh shit!

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

Archived