Saleen Focus "Re"Build Log Update 7/12/11 Pg 3

Okay guys, so I'm having a few ideas here. This box, even though it is great like it is, just isn't makin me happy like I want it to. But, the entire box is all square inside. I am going to go back to the shop next week and tear it down. Gonna use a router and round off all the edges on my ports, inside and out...gonna round off all the corners on the box. Then I'm gonna add a couple of 45's, or even better, some PVC roundovers, and put some glass in all the inside edges, and sand everything smoothe. Hopefully once all this is done, it will give me the sound I want. But, I wanted to ask a simple question in reference to aeroports. Do you guys think it would be better to take the time and do all the above mentioned to my current box, or rebuild a new one to the same dimensional specs, and use an aeroport instead of a slot port. All input is appreciated.

mivtCK.png

The alt is somewhat of a pain in the ass on the car but not as bad as stated. I have the biggest alt that can fit in the stock location on the ZX3 which is a large case GM built by Iraggi to do 260 amps. I also have another 200 amp unit built by Dom that I want to have a custom bracket made to install under the stock location.

On another note if you want your car to be louder I suggest a different sub/port firing combination. I consider myself to be one of the most knowledgeable people around as far as hatchback Focus's and loud go. You can see my sig for competition certified numbers that are the real deal. What I suggest for that single sub that has been very very effective for me is the woofer firing up and port externally firing to the driver's side of the car. The box needs to be pushed up against the tire well and back at the hatch on the passenger side to get the most out of it. With a box built this way for a single Sundown Nightshade 15 and 4200 clamped watts I was able to do a 152.6 on the dash at 52hz and a 155.2 in the kick at 54hz. Another way to try is sub firing back and port up or to the driver's side.

If you want or need any help I can pretty much tell you whatever you need to know to make this car louder then you can imagine. I've got over 3 years of spl experience with it and my current setup of 4 Sundown sa12's is doing a 155.6 on the dash sealed with the entire enclosure in the hatch and just slightly above the window line.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Just wantin to show you some of the gaps I had.

IMG_20110521_152419.jpg

No problem though...a few layers of liquid nails and some sanding got it all fixed.

IMG_20110521_152413.jpg

IMG_20110521_152709.jpg

IMG_20110521_153157.jpg

Okay, now for my floor.

I put down two 1x4's in the floor of the hatch...secured them to the floor with a couple of self tappers.

IMG_20110521_160813.jpg

IMG_20110521_160818.jpg

IMG_20110521_162216.jpg

Then comes for the actual floor...just some birch cut to fit and secured to the above 1x4's.

IMG_20110521_165331.jpg

IMG_20110521_165337.jpg

IMG_20110521_165343.jpg

When I screwed the amp to the box, I used some rubber grommets in b/w the box and the amp for a little cushioning.

IMG_20110521_170910.jpg

IMG_20110521_170905.jpg

IMG_20110521_171118.jpg

IMG_20110521_171123.jpg

Got the amp mounted, wired, and box secured to the false floor.

IMG_20110521_173413.jpg

IMG_20110521_173419.jpg

Got a competition tomorrow, so stay tuned for this thing in action!

lovin the True Value bag .......I work at the warehouse for True Value.

lovin the

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

If you want or need any help I can pretty much tell you whatever you need to know to make this car louder then you can imagine. I've got over 3 years of spl experience with it and my current setup of 4 Sundown sa12's is doing a 155.6 on the dash sealed with the entire enclosure in the hatch and just slightly above the window line.

Thanks for the help, but I'm not looking for loud on this build. Loud to the ear is good, but I'm not concerned with numbers. I was plenty loud with my last build, but it was rough. This time I'm going for looks, clarity, and neatness. I wan't it to be done right w/ lots of power, but I want it clean and pretty. I'm actually about to scrap the box I just made, and go for something a little bigger, that can fit snug and give me more space. I'm gonna have the sub facing the back seat, and angle the baffle to the angle of the rear seat. Gonna use two 4" aeroports facing up, and tune it at around 38hz. A little higher than I am used to, but I want it to sound clean, which is why I'm gonna have it at 2ohms instead of .5ohms. Maybe I will put it on the meter and see what she does...

mivtCK.png

It's cool whatever you decide to do. It's just nice to see someone with the same type of car in the same general part of the country as me. It just so happens that there aren't that many people around that have a Focus hatch with a loud system in it. I'd still love to help you at all if you do have any questions. I can tell you that stopping the hatch, hatch trim panels, quarter panel trim pieces, license plate, and rear wiper from rattling are something that I have not been able to conquere at all. I have the car deadend but still tons of rattle that I can hear listening up front at certain freq's. Have you had any luck with stopping any of the noise in the car?

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

It's cool whatever you decide to do. It's just nice to see someone with the same type of car in the same general part of the country as me. It just so happens that there aren't that many people around that have a Focus hatch with a loud system in it. I'd still love to help you at all if you do have any questions. I can tell you that stopping the hatch, hatch trim panels, quarter panel trim pieces, license plate, and rear wiper from rattling are something that I have not been able to conquere at all. I have the car deadend but still tons of rattle that I can hear listening up front at certain freq's. Have you had any luck with stopping any of the noise in the car?

None at all man...which I haven't really tried. I took out all the panels in the hatch, and put down a layer of peal and seal...then put down some of that truck bed liner on top of it. It's help slightly, but not much. My biggest thing is gonna be getting that spoiler secure. I've even debated removing it, but i'm not sure yet.

mivtCK.png

I need an answer too, I'm building a new box and I want to know which route to go...slotted port or aero port?

Hey man...don't come on a build log asking for tech help. This is not the place to do it, and quite rude to be honest. Go to the proper forum and post a new thread. Thanks.

mivtCK.png

Archived